Please sign in to post.

Road Trip Oban to York

I've already posted in Scotland with a couple great suggestions, but since I'm "crossing the boarder" from Scotland to England, better post here also. (affirming the reason to group UK and Ireland in same forum).

Looking for ideas and suggestions for sightseeing, interesting stops, photo ops, and a place for lunch on our 1 day road trip from Oban to York.

What do you think about Beamish? Interesting, too touristy?
How about Durham?

Posted by
4684 posts

Beamish is definitely worth it if you're interested in popular, industrial, or transport history - it is a very strong museum, not a dumbed-down tourist attraction.

Posted by
1626 posts

Thanks for the opinion on Beamish. I'm fascinated with England history and the coal industry evolution, so I think we'll enjoy.

Posted by
1443 posts

Durham is especially interesting for the Cathedral. It is remarkable for it's interior columns: each has it's own unique carved design. It also has the crypt of St Cuthbert made famous by the Venerable Bede who wrote him up to qualify him for Sainthood. These are some surprisingly humorous anecdotes which are written in English instead of Latin. Bede is in a closet as per his wishes. If you go to Durham from Scotland you will pass some of the more interesting stops on Hadrian's Wall.