Please sign in to post.

$100 Hotel possible in London?

I'm slowly loosing faith in Airbnb after my third booking was cancelled. So now I'm looking at finding a budget hotel, $100 US a night in London for May 14-19. Is this even possible for two. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by
8293 posts

Warren, I came upon this one when I was looking for a place for my niece. Please note: I know nothing about it, except the Premier chain is well known, the location is not too wonderful, the price is cheap, even in Canadian dollars.

Premier Inn Docklands, London

Posted by
8889 posts

Please, please, please, they don't use $US in Britain, the currency is £ (pounds or 'GBP').
Try here: https://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/en/president "from £97 per night", but sometimes they have offers. I have stayed here, it is basic, but OK
En suite and breakfast included. I even got a free evening meal on the first night one time, but if you have to pay, the restaurant is not worth it in the evening, go somewhere else. There are cheaper hotels in that chain, but they do not have en suite bathrooms: https://www.imperialhotels.co.uk

Otherwise try Premier Inns: www.premierinn.com This is a chain with more than one hotel in central London.

Posted by
5505 posts

$100 is roughly 70 GBP. This is tough in London.

I've occasionally gotten rates that low for the Premier Inn on Knaresborough Place (Earls Court) by booking the non-refundable rate.

The Travelodge chain is a no-frills budget chain you can check.

Posted by
9099 posts

Ever since London hosted the Olympics, hotel prices in London have skyrocketed. I used to be able to find pre-purchased rates for hotels in the Euston-St Pancras area for around $100USD. But with the combination of the Olympic effect and the Chunnel train moving to St Pancras, even that area had become pricey. If you are lucky you might still find decent rates in the Earls Court area. The dockland area trends to have some good rates around $100USD-$200USD, but the trade-off is that it's a pain in the butt to get to central London from there.

Posted by
5505 posts

I just checked the Premier Inn at Earls Court and they have a saver rate for your date which totals 388 GBP (about 559 USD at today's exchange rates). That is an average of 112 USD per night which I think is a pretty good price for this hotel. I'd book at that price. It is a non-refundable rate so you pay at booking.

I've stayed at this hotel. It is just 2 blocks from the Earls Court tube which is on the Piccadilly and District lines. The hotel is clean and comfortable. This is a basic chain hotel.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-kensington-earls-court.html

Posted by
433 posts

I ended up going with Tune Hotel Kings Cross. All I was looking for was something central and tripadvisor seems to be okay with it. Works for me. Being from Canada, I'm fighting a losing battle with our currency right now, so I wanted to get this done now.

Thanks

Posted by
32700 posts

Warren

Just be prepared for the Tune to charge you extra for everything when you arrive. Towel, TV, window, etc.

Just so you are not surprised.

Posted by
433 posts

Yeah, I read up on Tune policies. I'm expecting it will be an "experience"

Posted by
70 posts

Come back here and tell us all about the experience, please!

Posted by
22 posts

My husband and I were able to find a private room in a hostel that came out to be $100 a night with taxes using expedia. Like you, we really struggled to find a hotel in May, in the price rage we were hoping for, which is why we expanded our search to include nice hostels.

Posted by
1010 posts

Crowne Plaza, South Kensington is a lovely hotel. It is run by the IHG American Hotel Group. It includes Holiday Inn, InterContinental, Holiday Inn Express, etc. hotels. It is directly across the street from the Glouster Tube station. South Kensington is a very picturesque and safe area to visit.

Posted by
70 posts

Nor is the Crowne Plaza a budget hotel as the original poster requested.

Posted by
42 posts

I stayed at The Tune near Kings Cross last June for two nights. It was just fine. We had the cheapest (underground without a window) room and it served its purpose, which was a place to sleep and shower. You could sometime hear the tube running but it wasn't bad. We used our last handful of pounds for wifi and tv the last night as we packed up to head home. It was super clean and had a comfy bed. I'd book it again

Posted by
1010 posts

I previously posted a suggestion for anybody to look into the Crowne Plaza Hotel, South Kensington. Sometimes they offer very good rates, with many benefits. Plus if you belong to the IHG Hotel Program, you earn points.

Someone said that it ISN'T an American Hotel Business. I called and verified that IHG IS AN AMERICAN BUSINESS.

Posted by
32700 posts

I'm afraid it isn't, though.

Holiday Inn started in the US, but not now - not since 1990.

Posted by
70 posts

From the link posted just a bit up ... "InterContinental Hotels Group PLC informally InterContinental Hotels or IHG is a British multinational hotels company headquartered in Denham, UK."

Posted by
619 posts

The sentence in the Wikipaedia articlde that I found interesting was "Of the 4,602 hotels, 3,934 operate under franchise agreements, 658 are managed by the company but separately owned, and 10 are directly owned." Running as hotel chain is a funny old business.

I agree about the South Kensington Crowne Plaza, however. We had a room at the back and it was remarkably quiet for a hotel on a busy road.

Posted by
8 posts

$100 is equal to 70 GBP..
We have number of Hotels in London with in your budget, but here i'm recommending while we are going with Low budget the Hotel Amenities will be having low, I'm not sure which hotels will suited for you however i'm recommending few lists checkout thoroughly and book your hotel.
1) AVO Hotel - http://www.avohotel.com/ Per Night £79
Address: 82 Dalston Ln, London E8 3AH
Phone:020 3490 5061

2) Hanover Hotel Victoria - http://www.hanoverhotel.co.uk/ Per Night £71
Address: 30-32 St George's Dr, London SW1V 4BN
Phone:020 7834 0367

3) Hotel Bluebells - http://www.hotelbluebells.com/ Per Night £62
Address: 14 Pembridge Square, Notting Hill Gate, London W2 4EH
Phone:020 7727 6666

Hope this information will be helpful for you.

If you share to which place you are going so that i can recommend the Hotels around to that place which you feel more comfortable to reach your place.