Please sign in to post.

10 Days in England

Hello all- My wife and I ( and our three sons 26,23,16) will be travelling to England for 10 days around Memorial Day. My wife has been there once , but the rest of us haven't. Sounds like there is more than enough to fill our days. We plan on taking a couple of days and going to Liverpool to do the Beatles thing. My wife would also like to return to the cotswalds if possible and maybe Windsor. We are flying in/out of London. Any suggestions on how we should do this logistically? Rent car or take train? Start in London or finish there? I guess with all that travel that would leave us maybe 4days in actual London, Anything our boys shouldn't miss?

Thanks, Dan

Posted by
451 posts

What are your interests? Museums, WW2, gardens, theatre, shopping etc …………..

Only thing I would mention now is, are you Harry Potter fans? And are you planning on doing the studio tour just outside London. If so, you have to book NOW to ensure you get tickets for your end May dates.

Posted by
4796 posts

Except for the Cotswold's you should be able to do it all by train. Much simpler and much easier on the nerves. On arrival day consider traveling to the point the longest distance away from London. Then work your way back to London and finish up there. The reason for that suggestion is the first day all of you will probably be pretty much in a fog from lack of sleep and jet lag so that day will be shot anyway.

Posted by
1446 posts

Go to London first, you don't need car there; I might take the train to Liverpool, do your Beatles thing spend the night and then rent a car for your trip back thru Cotswolds, etc. Spend night Windsor before your return flight. Turn car in at airport. You could take car back night before and take taxi or shuttle to Airport. Four days will seem to be a very short time in London. You can see a lot of places like Hampton Court, Greenwich, and Windsor as return day trips on the train from London.

Posted by
20 posts

A quick and easy Beatles stop in London is Abbey Road. Get off the Jubilee line tube at St Johns Wood station.. it's less than a five minutes away.

Cotswold's will require a car unless you take an organized tour. I once took a Red Lion tour from Bath, and the driver showed us maybe 8 beautiful little villages. Been to England many times, never rented a car, but if you've got the iron will to attempt to do so, I still wouldn't dare enter London. Windsor doesn't require a car either. Liverpool is kind of out of the way. Actually, way out of the way. I'm not sure how much you have your heart set on going there, but if you're feeling overwhelmed with this schedule, there are many, many Beatles sites in London, and in fact, there are even Beatles walking tours. Find info here: https://beatlesinlondon.com/

Have fun!

Posted by
2399 posts

Do London - then train from London (Euston) to Liverpool - see www.virgintrains.co.uk

You could drive from Liverpool to the Cotswolds or take the train to say Cheltenham and then hire a car to get around the villages - which lie just to the east of the town. Alternatively, being as you have been to the Cotswolds, why not consider north Wales -especially the Snowdonia National Park as this area is not that far from Liverpool. Best way to do this option might be short train ride to the historic city of Chester before hiring a car and heading west to Snowdonia. (You can learn about this area by reading the Wales forum).
https://www.visitwales.com/explore/national-parks/snowdonia
https://www.visitcheshire.com/chester

Posted by
27061 posts

James, Liverpool is way north--a potential gateway to North Wales, it's true. It's not a place one would take a train if heading to the Cotswolds, which are much closer to London than to Liverpool. I'd head to Oxford to see the southern Cotswolds or Bath to see the northern Cotswolds. I assume car rental wouldn't be a problem at either location, but each city has at least a full day's sightseeing for which a car wouldn't be needed. Then take the train to Liverpool after seeing the Cotswolds, or keep the car and drive if preferred.

Posted by
2399 posts

acravan - They say they want to go to Liverpool. That being so, I suggested north Wales because it is not that far away and they have been to The Cotswolds. I also suggested the train from Liverpool to Cheltenham as it is roughly 2hours 30 minutes with one change - usually at Stafford or Birmingham. Cheltenham is an ideal jumping off point for the northern Cotswolds. (Bath is in the southern Cotswolds). Rail map :>http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/images/structure/css/nationalrailnetworkmap.pdf

Posted by
27061 posts

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting that they travel London-Liverpool-Cotswolds when London-Cotswolds-Liverpool looks much simpler/shorter/cheaper to me.

Posted by
91 posts

Thanks to everybody! I appreciate all suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes!

Posted by
2775 posts

If you are only doing a day trip to the Cotswolds you could do it without car. You would want to take the train from London Paddington Station to Moreton-in-Marsh. There is a train leaving at 7:50am arriving at 9:25am (1 hr 47 minute) then the return train there are ones leaving at 6:12pm, 7:27pm. This would give you time to visit a couple different villages. Once you get to Moreton-in-Marsh you could either take a cab or bus. Moreton-in-Marsh to Chipping Campden is 8 miles, from MIM to Bourton-on-the-Water is 8 miles, MIM to Broadway is 9 miles, and MIM to Stow-on-the-Wold is 4 1/2 miles. So a day trip is doable. If you were going to be there for several days you definitely would want a car.