Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London

My daughter and I will be picking my son up from University in London. What neighborhood should we stay in for 3 days before we head to Italy? Any recommendations for hotels?

Posted by
3951 posts

If your son’s University of London program is the campus near Gower St. you might want to look for a hotel on that street, there are several, or anywhere in the Bloomsbury neighborhood near the British Museum.

We stayed at the Bedford Hotel last month and liked the hotel very much with its accessible, inviting rear garden.

Posted by
108 posts

I second the Bedford Hotel, it has been my” go to” hotel in London for years. It has a great breakfast and a very nice garden in the rear as Mona said. The only thing I do not like is their mattresses are universally “firm”. Inside tip though, ask for a mattress pad topper to get some additional softness. :)

Posted by
27 posts

If you just want a basic hotel, look for a Premier Inn. We stayed at a Premier Inn near the London Eye last spring that was walking distance to Big Ben, Parliament, etc. There wasn't much around the hotel itself - but most major sites were just a short 10 min walk across the Westminster Bridge. The Premier Inns hotels are all over London. They have basic breakfasts for cheap too. We also stayed at a premier inn near St. Pancreas station on our way back from Paris and it was nicer and clean and cheap. But we didn't like the area as much.

Posted by
8667 posts

Angela too bad you didn’t enjoy the St Pancras area of London. Over the decades that area has evolved from absolute dregs to a revitalized neighborhood. I especially admired the creative minds who converted old gas tanks into condominiums.

Also enjoyed walking the path from there up to Camden Town and wandering through the vibrant Camden Lock market.