Please sign in to post.

The Celtic Hotel in London: Comfort and Convenience at ₤145 per Night.

As some of you know, we just returned from a two week trip to Amsterdam and London. Although I'm already being nagged about writing a trip report, I'm holding off a bit on that, but will post a couple of hotel reviews. In London, our first hotel was the Celtic, 62 Guilford Street, just east of Russell Square.

Our favorite London hotel (the Kensington Gardens) was booked for our dates, so we decided to take the recommendation of someone on the Forum and try the Celtic. (Thank you, darrenblois!)

The hotel is in Bloomsbury, easy to reach from St Pancras; we walked, and it took about 10 to 15 minutes. We checked into room 5, on the first floor up, for three nights. There is no elevator.

The room was beautiful, big with a high ceiling, and 2 French windows opening to the outside (with railings.) There was a small closet with lots of hangers, a desk, what I think was a queen-size bed, two comfy chairs, one desk chair, 2 marble end tables, a marble fireplace, two lamps, a small electric heater (the oil-filled radiator type,) and a luggage rack. There were lots of outlets, and plenty of light. The double room with bath cost €145 per night, including breakfast and VAT.

The breakfast was good, served by the staff rather than a buffet. There was a choice of hot and cold beverages, hot and cold cereals, and toast. “Full English” selections included choices of toast, eggs, and hot breakfast meats, as well as beans, tomatoes, and mushrooms. There was also fresh fruit available, although it wasn’t on the menu.

The staff was wonderful. The young woman serving breakfast remembered after the first morning that Stan wanted a banana, and that I took honey on my oatmeal.

The reception staff was just as good. Several of them were very concerned about whether or not we liked the room and were comfortable; when I told one that the room was just beautiful, she beamed. And when I asked another clerk about a Catholic church in the neighborhood, she told me where it was, how to get there, what landmarks to look for, and what time the services were! (It turns out her parents were married in that church, and she herself was baptized there.)

There were comfortable public areas as well, and everything was very clean.

Bus and tube lines can be reached within a 5 minute walk; many restaurants are available in the neighborhood, as well.

We enjoyed our stay at the Celtic very much, and would gladly stay there again.

Posted by
3950 posts

We’ve loved the management at that hotel ever since they closed St. Margaret’s Hotel and opened the Celtic. So glad you enjoyed it and their personal attention.

Posted by
6289 posts

Mona, we loved it, and are now in a quandary about which hotel to choose for our next visit. I guess having two "favorite" hotels is a good thing!

I hear you are getting together with Kim and her hubbie David this spring? What fun! I remember fondly our getting together over beer in Haarlem a few years ago.

Posted by
118 posts

Jane, thank you for this hotel review - it sounds like exactly the kind of place we would like. I’m saving this for our next trip to London!

Posted by
2364 posts

I too.appreciate the info as.we.plan.to.go.in September. Thank you!

Posted by
3950 posts

Yes we are hoping to meet up with Kim and David in London! We too have fond memories of meeting you in Haarlem and sharing our love for travel and common connections!

Posted by
13931 posts

"Although I'm already being nagged about writing a trip report, I'm holding off a bit on that, but will post a couple of hotel reviews."

Hahahaha......I'll raise my hand and say that was me! Yes, I want to know all about the fun time you and DH had!

Posted by
6289 posts

Pam, I started to name check you in the post, but thought our friend the webmaster might not think it was funny. And I'm planning to start the trip report today. Honest! I've decided to do pre-RS tour separately, though.

If I can keep Stan off this computer long enough...

Posted by
6289 posts

dplaunerville, almost none. I'm trying to remember if we had the windows open; I don't think we did, but I remember vaguely hearing trash trucks one morning, that's it. The hotel is about a block and a half from a busy street (Southampton Row,) but the busiest part of that street is a couple blocks south. The Celtic is just a block and a half from Russell Square. As soon as you turn onto Guiford, the noise level plummets. There is a pub about half a block west and a block north of the hotel, but what noise there is there dissipates as you walk away.

I'm very conscious of noise, and there was almost none.

Posted by
9420 posts

Thank you Jane for this recommendation. Very nice of you to share!

Posted by
6289 posts

Susan, just paying it forward! We've had great recommendations here on the Forum, and are delighted to reciprocate.