Please sign in to post.

Review: 100 Queens Gate Hotel London

My friend and I just returned from a visit to London and Bath. In London we stayed in 100 Queens Gate Hotel in South Kensington. This was the first time for me at this hotel, typically I stay at Aster House, a lovely B&B recommended by Rick Steves. However, my friend is more of a hotel person and I wanted to stay in South Kensington. We chose 100 Queens Gate for the Location and our ability to use Hilton points for the stay.

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would stay here again on Points. Here are the highlights and lowlights:

Highlights

• Location: it is just a 7 minute walk to the South Kensington tube station in a lovely neighborhood with local cafes, bakeries, and restaurants. I like South Kensington overall because you feel more like you live in London yet you are very close to all the tourist attractions either by tube or walking.
  • Amenities: since this is a Hilton, you have all the amenities of a Hilton hotel. In addition, they have a complementary mini-bar with soft drinks, orange juice, milk (for coffee), waters and they replenish it every day. They also have a Nespresso machine, tea kettle, and a nice selection of English tea.
  • Charm: the hotel is in an 1870's Victorian townhouse and the rooms are decorated in a modern version of that style. We stayed in a Queen room with a Queen size bed, small chair, and an even smaller bathroom. It was more than comfortable enough for a 5 night stay,

Lowlights:

• Service: the overall service in the hotel was lacking. While the people working there tried their best, the service was not up to par. It took forever to have someone answer the phone from the front desk. My friend had to finally call from the outside. The staff was friendly, but not knowledgeable about the amenities in the room. We had to get a maintenance person to tell me how to operate the thermostat (in all fairness, it was very complicated).
  • Food: we ate twice at the hotel, once when we arrived and once for breakfast. The lunch was okay, if expensive. The breakfast was a large buffet, but it was super pricey (27 £). They didn't tell me and I didn't ask prior. Needless to say, I ate at one of the many lovely bakeries the rest of the trip for breakfast.
Posted by
6353 posts

Sandy, this was a very fair and very thorough review. Thank you for posting!

Posted by
3770 posts

Sandy, thanks for this review.
I stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago when it was the Doubletree by Hilton South Kensington Queens Gate Hotel. At that time, it was not a good experience, however, it has been renovated since then and the name was changed to 100 Queens Gate Hotel.

We had to get the maintenance person to help us operate the AC thermostat, too. It is complicated. The maintenance guy told us it was programmed to run for 20 minutes, then to shut off. That's why we would wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night when we were there. You had to get up, restart the AC, then lie down to sleep again; AC runs for 20 minutes, shuts off.
Apparently, this AC system situation has not changed, perhaps??

To anyone reading this review, I would say have a look at
the many nice hotels in this area.
The Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel, 68-86 Cromwell Road, is nice.
(You will not run out of good choices for hotels along Cromwell Road.)
Fraser Suites is nice.
There is a Premier Inn (Earls Court) just off Cromwell Road; very nice and reasonably priced.
For a more upscale experience, there's
The Rembrandt, right across the street from the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A).

Posted by
952 posts

@rebecca: thanks for the information. I did hear that this was a DoubleTree in past. Looks like they have some of the same challenges even with the name change. Thanks for the recommendations for other hotels in the area, bookmarking this for future reference.