Please sign in to post.

pubs in London

We are going to London in two weeks. We are staying in Fulham. i would like to spend the evenings in authentic English pubs with locals. Any suggestions?

Posted by
15584 posts

Go to an area that is more residential and has fewer tourists. (Fewer hotels.)

If you can find a pub hidden on a side street rather than a High Street.

Posted by
1305 posts

Hi -

You could start here: https://www1.camra.org.uk/pubs

It’s the website of The CAMpaign for Real Ale which almost (but not always) guarantees a pub with good beer if nothing else (so traditional ales, bitter, porters, and heaven forfend, maybe the odd ‘mild’). You know, the ‘room temperature’ kinds of beer. Ambience can be mixed, but most pubs these days err on the side of ‘gastropub’ as opposed to ‘drinking den’.

Under the ‘Pubs and Clubs’ sub page, there’s a search bar. Type ‘Fulham, London’ and you’ll get about a dozen suggestions, a couple of which may be what you are after*.

Have a great trip!

Ian

*PS. I had a quick ‘butchers’ at the ‘Butcher’s Hook’ which seems to fit the bill!

Posted by
5361 posts

Whereabouts in Fulham? The original village site down by the Palace & river or somewhere else in the modern borough?

Many of the old local type pubs have gone or been completely changed. Some that are still more interesting are the Mitre on Dawes Road, or what is now Aragon House on New Kings Road in Parsons Green.

Posted by
376 posts

I agree CAMRA is a great resource. I love The Ship, which is located just across the Thames from Fulham. Great old pub overlooking the river. Apparently, Jimi Hendrix hung out there.

Posted by
8825 posts

Bedford Arms or Captain Cook … across the road from one another…
OR
the Eight Bells which is around the corner from my favorite spot for a full English Breakfast, The River Cafe.