Please sign in to post.

Premier Inn London County Hall

Traveling with husband and two teenage children. Need clean, near transportation and centrally located and not too pricey. This seems to fit the bill. Anyone stayed there or know anything about it?

Posted by
544 posts

I know the area where that hotel is located. The south bank is a fun place to walk, especially in the evening, but it feels kind of like being in a busy shopping mall with the crowds, modern buildings and chain restaurants. I would also check out locations in the neighborhoods that Rick recommends, like near Victoria Station, so you can escape some of the hectic crowds in the evenings. Premiere Inn has a location near Victoria, but there are also smaller independent places that could have better breakfasts, service and value.

Posted by
32513 posts

It gets generally good reviews around here, but I don't often stay in hotels in London preferring to run in on the train so I don't often stay in hotels.

If I had a decent price offer I'd happily stay there or the Marriott next door in the same building.

Posted by
32513 posts

Emma says,

a load of building work going on out side Victoria station at the moment which is a bit of a pain to get around.

British understatement is an artform, well executed here.

Posted by
9098 posts

The only major downside to this hotel is that it doesn't have AC. So that might be an issue during the summer. Most other Premier Inn locations do have AC though: http://tinyurl.com/d2ks5n
The area of the hotel opposite the London Eye is pickpocket central so make sure you use a money belt or the hotel room safe.

Posted by
24 posts

My son and I stayed there several years ago and it was just perfect. Great location, good price for a London hotel, and the breakfast buffet was good as well. I'd definitely stay there again.

Posted by
3719 posts

We have stayed at this Premier Inn several times, and highly recommend it. Great location. Walking distance to many tourist sights. Premier Inn County Hall serves a good breakfast. When you book your room at their hotel website, you will notice you can book "with breakfast included" or "without breakfast". So it's not automatically given to you, unless you book it that way. There are a good many coffee shops within walking distance of the hotel, if all you want is coffee/tea and a danish or croissant.

Posted by
1216 posts

I have stayed there three, maybe, four, times. It is very conveniently located. For me, the most annoying feature was how crowded Westminster Bridge was on occasion (any time but midwinter). The location is easy to get to. I took the tube from Heathrow and walked across the bridge. I have also taken a night bus from the corner up the block. I have walked to the Globe and Borough Market.

There are many eateries nearby on the South Bank, including some places directly behind the hotel which is kind of on a private little street because of the Eye. One thing I discovered last time I was there is the supermarket in Waterloo Station - really close. Also, having the station close makes trips to places like Hampton Palace easy. And, being on the river, it is easy to connect with river tours. I did a London Walks tour that started across the bridge.

Across the bridge: Westminster Abbey, etc. It is not beyond possible to walk to Victoria Station and environs. I have done it. Trafalgar Sq, Piccadilly, this entire area within easy reach.

Premier Inn: generally big box hotels with cookie-cutter rooms, but that has worked for me based on location and cost. When researching London regions and other urban locations, I check them out as a possible option. Oh, you will not have a view of Parliament, the river, or the Eye from your rooms. Those are available from the more expensive Marriott on the other side of the building. You may glimpse the Eye out of a hallway window. In my experience, the side away from the Eye is quieter, more private. I would go back.

Posted by
2165 posts

We stayed there 2 yrs. ago in May. The beds are indeed comfortable and good towels, too. We didn't have a closet, but the bathroom was nice sized and there was an electric kettle. We paid for Internet, and were very impressed by cost and speed; better than we got at Hilton Paddington! The check-in system was kiosks in the lobby, but there was abundant staff to help out with check-in and check-out. They were all young and cheerful and ready to help. I can't say we were impressed with the hotel restaurant, but there is a friendly bar and the prices for the vending machines were cheaper than the little store across the street. The Premier Inn Waterloo is just a block away, if you want to check out another property. The customer base seemed to be mostly British when we were there and there were lots of teenagers.

Posted by
23 posts

Have stayed 2 times. Comfortable beds, hot shower, clean and meets your requirements. Location can't be beat and your teenagers will love the location (and you will too)

Linda

Posted by
24 posts

Post travel update. Premier Inn was perfect for us. It reminded me of US budget hotels in its appointments, and was very, very clean with Modern, updated bathrooms. Very nice staff, and when we arrived hours before check-in hoping to stow our bags, they happily let us have our room early. Best yet, it was two blocks from the train station and within walking distance of most everything. I would definitely stay there again!

Posted by
2165 posts

Thanks for letting us know your experience. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you.