Please sign in to post.

Premier Inn?

I've seen the Premier Inn chain recommended as a good budget option in London. Can anyone provide some firsthand experiences with them? Value for money? Safety? Cleanliness, etc? I'd appreciate any insight anyone can provide. Thanks!

Posted by
15012 posts

I've stayed in a number of them throughout the UK.

Clean, quiet, basic, while the outside of the hotels look different, the rooms are very similar. They are of good value and I've never felt unsafe.

The beds are comfortable. I'll stay in them in the future without hesitation.

If you're looking for "English charm" this isn't it.

I'll choose a Premier Inn in a town I have never been to over a quaint place because with PI, I know what I am getting. Others do differently.

Posted by
8145 posts

We stayed in the Premier Inn Paddington Basin a couple of times last June.

Spotless. Decent steak restaurant/bar with happy hour. Within walking distance to the train station and the Tube station--300 yards.

Good mid line hotel chain.

From this specific property, you can be sitting in Heathrow Airport in 45 minutes.

Posted by
6323 posts

I really like Premier Inns. I stayed at several last year when I was in Scotland, and had a very pleasant stay. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean, the staff is pleasant and competent and the price is very reasonable. Best of all they are consistently good. I'm with Frank in that I do not like surprises when it comes to hotels.

PIs are in good locations so you can almost always find one. Breakfast is usually not included, but you can buy it for a decent price (I think I paid around £7 for a continental breakfast and £9 for a hot meal).

I will be staying at the Premier Inn County Hall (in South Bank) when I head to London in mid-May for 5 nights. I decided to get the Premier Plus room, which gives me upgraded wifi, a mini fridge, a larger work area and a bit more room. For that, I am paying £140 per night. The standard room was around £125, I believe.

Here are some posts you might want to review as well:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/requesting-opinions-of-certain-premier-inns-in-london
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/london-premier-inn-centrally-located-but-best-deal

Posted by
1825 posts

I've stayed in several Premier Inns in England and Scotland. I agree with everyone's comments, but I particularly like the locations. No, they aren't usually charming, but sometimes a good night's sleep in a clean room is exactly what you need and appreciate. Very much good value. I use them for the same reason I use Holiday Inn Express or Hilton Garden Inn in the U.S.

Posted by
8672 posts

Clean, practical, and comfortable lodging. Never felt unsafe.

Throughly enjoyed my stays at both the Chiswick
and Richmond Premiere Inns. Stayed in those outlaying neighborhoods by choice. Both were well kept. Each fairly close to Underground stations. Would return to either without hesitation.

First time visitors would be best served by staying in PI’s closer to the city center. I’m considering Westminster as the city center.

If this is your first visit to London definitely research the County Hall and Victoria PI’s.

Posted by
8382 posts

When I am looking for a hotel that gives me a consistent product and value for money, I choose Premier Inn. I don’t expect anything beyond a clean room in a good location at a reasonable price and I am never disappointed.

Posted by
268 posts

We have used Premier Inns in London for a number of years. Usually, 2X per year.

Always reliable. Always more reasonable than similar level accommodations. As others have said, not fancy, not charming.

For us the beds are comfortable and fancy hotels are not our thing.
We generally do the optional breakfast. Is it a fantastic breakfast? No, but it is priced right, reasonably good, and convenient. Some folks may prefer to venture out and you have that option because you can sign up for them day by day if you like.

Best to book direct and early as prices generally rise... sometimes substantially if you procrastinate. We always do flex refundable which is the most expensive rate. Not a fan of non-refundable even though they sometimes are much cheaper. Sunday nights are usually very cheap and Saturdays the highest, but rates vary depending on occupancy predictions.

One other thing. There is a glitch on the website associated with the time/day difference.
When you do a search for your rooms it will display the price for the dates you selected which will be correct. However, if you look at the breakdown per night or the online reservation as displayed on the website it will have you arriving a day earlier and well as departing a day earlier. Initially I freaked out but now realize the email confirmation is right. I have actually had no problems with the actual reservations upon checking in so I don't worry about it as long as I can see the correct dates in the email. Some others have reported that this is sorted in the App, but I have not checked that.

Posted by
1744 posts

I stayed in two Premier Inns in Scotland last year. I agree with what everyone has said.

However, when I'm traveling for pleasure, one of the pleasures I get is arriving at a new hotel or guesthouse or B&B and discovering my room. Sometimes the discovery is a letdown, but it's still part of the fun of traveling. I got no such pleasure at the Premier Inns where I stayed. It was quite disappointing to stay in such a generic room so utterly lacking in character. For that reason, I wouldn't choose to stay at a Premier Inn again.

Posted by
139 posts

Very, very nice beds, to the point that the people who provide them with the mattresses sell them through the Premier Inn website to enthusiastic customers.

Posted by
317 posts

We have stayed at Premier Inns & Hub by Premier. the Hub by Premier is the lower price arm of the chain. I think the Hub by Premier rooms are a bit smaller. They are pretty well laid out with a decent amount of storage. In Edinburgh we did have to open our suitcases on the bed. Which is a bit of a hassle but we were there only 1 night. We have stayed at both ends of the PI and won't hesitate to use them again in the UK

We used the Hub by Premier at St James in London and it was very convienent. About a block to the Tube & 1/4 mile to Westminster

Posted by
1006 posts

I would recommend booking with the app if possible because the website can be a bit glitchy. The app works really well.

Posted by
5755 posts

Picking up on Lane's point I love Premier Inns for their dependability. Especially in London I have had too much disappointment with solo rooms at independent hotels (both the rooms and a big thing with me, fire escape routes). I know many people here like Paddington. For some reason my company liked to use the Paddington area although nowhere near our central London work sites, but all I ever got were poor quality places. That was when I eventually said I was going to and staying in Southend (for almost 11 years)- the commuting time way offset the far better standards I got. At other stages I also commuted in from Horley (Gatwick Airport) and from Tunbridge Wells having been on jobs in those towns and liking the hotels I got.

So I just always use PI or other chains (Travelodge or Accor Group) in a city, because I know exactly what I am going to get.

In Rural areas I do try hard to use B and B's, mindful that PI profits just go to a big corporate (Whitbread brewery or whatever they are now after brewery mergers). But B and B's sure make it difficult. Next week I am in Bude, Cornwall. Reluctantly I am staying at the PI as they are offering the keenest price (by a big margin) and importantly do breakfast early- not the 8, 8.30 and even 9 am beloved of West Country B and B's. I have to be on the road by 9am, preferably 7.30am, I can't hang around half the day waiting for breakfast. And it's the kind of brutal but necessary trip I am getting way too old for- 32 hour journey on the way down, and 39 on the way back. So I totally have to know I have a good room for the one solid night's exhausted sleep of the week and good wi-fi. PI give me that.

Posted by
1006 posts

I agree with you about B&B quality. 20+ years ago there was no alternative to B&Bs in a lot of rural areas and the experience was often weird or uncomfortable. I really avoid them now even though a lot have moved upmarket to be more ‘boutique’. I quite like the anonymity of a chain hotel.

Posted by
452 posts

Agree with the comments above. When travelling to a town I am not familiar with I ALWAYS look for a PI option first. I want dependable not quaint.

Posted by
192 posts

We had a great experience with London PI Victoria in 2022. It is located in a quiet area. Agree with the comments on prioritizing function over charm when booking. Above all, I want to sleep in a comfortable bed. We are also tall (5' 11" and husband is 6' 3") so prefer beds without footboards.

Posted by
1006 posts

To add, Premier Inns operate with minimal staff but I always find them to be helpful and friendly.

I’m a big fan of the new £10 early check in option. Some of the large London hotels didn’t allow early check at all before and I find it worth the money for an extra few hours in the room. I don’t know if it’s in operation everywhere. Some of the smaller hotels would allow you to check in early if the room was ready for no extra charge.

Posted by
9576 posts

I think the Hub by Premier rooms are a bit smaller.

Quite a bit smaller !

Posted by
32764 posts

I've stayed at several Premier Inns now and never been disappointed. The wifi is now a bit better than it was.

Posted by
32764 posts

There are some now in continental Europe. There was one across from the Holiday Inn Express in Saarbrücken, Germany.

Posted by
6323 posts

There are some now in continental Europe. There was one across from the Holiday Inn Express in Saarbrücken, Germany.

That's interesting, Nigel. Good to know, although I do like the Motel One chain in Germany. But they mostly seem to be in the larger cities.

Posted by
27120 posts

My preference is for cheaper places; I don't object to tiny rooms with views of airshafts. However, if I'm traveling in England (as opposed to Scotland) in the summer, I like to have air conditioning, and most PIs are air conditioned. it's very difficult to beat Premier Inn's rates for an air-conditioned hotel.

Posted by
1943 posts

We stayed in one at Kings Cross overnight when we took the Eurostar to London for our flight home. it was safe and rather bland hotel chain. If you want quaint, nice soap toiletries and towels, this is not for your. But the room was fine and the bed was fine. Plus there was a Costa coffee attached as well as a shopping center and pubs nearby.

I have also stayed in Motel One in Munich which I highly recommend. Not spacious but clean comfy and a decent breakfast.

Posted by
5755 posts

Not in London but I stayed in one in Bude, Cornwall on Wednesday. Good, efficient local staff, nothing too much trouble. Air Con and for once a window that opened properly. Slept like a baby. Took the £19 meal deal - two course dinner with alcoholic drink and breakfast. They employ a chef, not a cook. At breakfast the buffet was cooked in small batches, and eggs cooked to order.
For effectively £4 the dinner was very acceptable -far from gourmet, but freshly cooked and good quality. Sure it's frozen!!
And £35 paid for the room, off season.
Right in the centre of town.
There is no other score than 10/10, for its price point. I'd rather stay there than whatever the best hotel in town is.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread. I've booked my room for London and I'm very happy with how it looks. Will report back after my trip!

Posted by
2639 posts

I have stayed in numerous Premier Inns all over the UK and they have been great value for money, Someone mentioned you can buy their beds and mattresses, well i did so last month, mattresses are really comfortable.