Please sign in to post.

London Lodging

My family and I are headed to Europe this summer. I have everything secured except our lodging in London which has me overwhelmed and I need some guidance. I've been going back and forth between a hotel or an apartment. We have never stayed in a Airbnb or apartment rental, but we are open to the idea.

We are celebrating my 40th birthday, so I'm willing to stretch the budget and would like something comfortable.

Wish List
2 beds
Washer/dryer (not required but would be nice)
Coffee Maker/Microwave/Refrigerator
Close to tube station
Centrally Located- I'd prefer Knightbridge area, but not a deal breaker
Looking to spend no more than $400 (US) a night if possible.

Thanks in advance
Stacey

Posted by
5259 posts

Be aware that a coffee maker in the UK is more likely to be a capsule machine rather than the percolator type favoured by many Americans so if that is going to be a deal breaker between any selection you may have narrowed down it might be worth checking to avoid disappointment.

Posted by
14980 posts

You might want to look for "serviced apartments." They are apartment buildings that are run like hotels.

One chain In London that have have washer/dryers in the unit or in the building are Fraser Suites.

Staybridge Suites have a couple of locations in London but not near Knightsbridge.

There are a couple of Residence Inns in London. The one in Kensington is horrible and I wouldn't suggest you stay there.

Posted by
32740 posts

Wish List
2 beds

But you said you were "My family and I are headed to Europe".

How many folks do you you want to put into 2 beds? Normally when 2 beds are asked for you are looking for two twin (single sized) beds. If you think the default is 2 superkings you will be disappointed. Or do you want one bed each for you and your other (husband mentioned in 2014), and you figure any kids can sleep on the floor?

Posted by
5259 posts

Coffee makers are not common in UK hotel rooms which tend to have kettles and instant coffee.

Ah yes, I made my post on the assumption of an AirBnB or similar. If a hotel, except for a boutique or high end chain hotel the most you can hope for is a kettle and instant coffee with those horrid capsules of UHT milk.

Posted by
381 posts

We rented a two bed, two bath flat in the South Kensington neighborhood and it was wonderful! We shared it with another couple and it was perfectly located between the Gloucester Road and Kensington tube stations. We were there for 10 days and loved the neighborhood with wonderful restaurants and easy access to whatever we wanted to do....many within walking distance and many within easy tube access. Here is the link to the property:
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p8262255

Posted by
58 posts

Thank you everyone! As for the coffee, it's not a deal breaker.

Posted by
16241 posts

Stacey, how many people in all? And how many adults and children? That can make a huge difference in recommendations for suitable lodging.

Posted by
2775 posts

The London Elizabeth Hotel, two minute walk to Lamcaster Gate Tube Station and across the street from Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens.

Posted by
58 posts

We would need 2 full/queen size beds; my husband and I, then my young adult son.

As for a coffee maker, a kettle or espresso maker would also work. It would be nice to have it available in the room before we head out.