Please sign in to post.

London

What can you recommend to be the best fish and chip place to eat not to to expensive.

Posted by
274 posts

Hello, which area of London will you be in? Hope you have fun.
-Alison

Posted by
531 posts

When I was near the Tower of London, I went to Minories and thought it was pretty tasty. Good selection of beer and there's a train that runs right over the restaurant which is kind of cool. Huge portions as well.

Posted by
1113 posts

There’s also a Poppies in Soho. I also liked Rock and Sole Plaice in Covent Garden.

Posted by
6113 posts

“Proper” fish and chips are eaten as a takeaway, not in a restaurant. There aren’t many fish and chip shops in London, as they can’t afford the rents. However, the Golden Hind on Marylebone Lane is about as good as it gets in a restaurant and is good value. They have been there 100 years, so know what they are doing. Closed Sundays.

Posted by
5256 posts

When I was near the Tower of London, I went to Minories and thought it was pretty tasty. Good selection of beer.....

A fish and chip shop that sells beer is not a proper fish and chip shop. Fish and chips is fast food, something to be taken away from the premises to be eaten elsewhere. Any place serving fish and chips in a restaurant environment isn't offering authentic fish and chips.

Posted by
752 posts

Jennifer, I’ve gone to Golden Hind for years, so glad to hear you mention it.

But I’m intrigued...how far out of London do we need to go for the proper takeaway? Do you and JC have any recommendations in the surrounding areas? Would really appreciate your advice to experience the real thing.

Posted by
951 posts

I agree with Ruth, Poppies is great. Even the mushy peas are delicious.

Posted by
5256 posts

Barbara, I'm afraid I have no particular recommendations as I don't eat fish and chips when I visit London. It's a simple affair and dedicated fish and chip shops have the equipment and technique to make proper fish and chips that can rarely be achieved in a pub or restaurant kitchen therefore you'll find little difference between fish and chip shops. Some are better than others but there's not much in it. If one looks reasonably busy then go for it.

Posted by
11131 posts

Not far from Westminster Abbey, The Laughing Halibut, 38 Stratton Ground. Fish and Chip places are simple, like diners in the US. This place has delicious Fish and you can choose from sizes. We always return there when we are in London.

Posted by
1658 posts

Any place serving fish and chips in a restaurant environment isn't offering authentic fish and chips.

I was in England this summer and had fish and chips twice. The one meal I had in a pub was very good.

What exactly makes it "authentic"? I'm curious.

Posted by
5256 posts

What exactly makes it "authentic"? I'm curious.

It's difficult to describe and seems contradictory to other advice about chips but.......

Chip Shop chips are not crisp, they're soft due to the steaming in the paper wrapper. They shouldn't be greasy but rather soft, fluffy, salty and vinegary. They are a perfect contrast to the crisp batter of the fish.

Chips served in pubs and restaurants don't benefit from the paper steaming effect and therefore remain crisp. One could argue that this is desirable and it is if served with steak for example but not for fish and chips. Chip Shop chips are unique, once you've tried them you'll understand.

Posted by
8645 posts

I was introduced to Toff's in Muswell Hill on my last visit. I'm not going to debate if "proper" or not. Not terribly cheap if I recall but dang tasty haddock.

Far away from central London and not an easy public transport sojourn.

Posted by
141 posts

I was just looking into this as well, and came across this list: National Fish and Chip Awards. I’d be curious about opinions on the places listed if anyone’s been to any! I was going to try and visit one or two while on vacation.

Posted by
3948 posts

I know some people on this forum stay in or visit Ealing. We spent 3 weeks right off of Pitshanger Ln. a few years ago. There was a lovely family run fishmonger on Pitshanger Ln. and at 5 PM they closed the fish shop and mom, dad and the 2 young adult sons went next door and opened their fish take away shop, Blue Ocean. Oh my, watching them select our gigantic filet, batter it and deep fry it right in front of us was fascinating. The one would stretch out the door as soon as they opened with a steady stream of customers taking away their fish and chips. They had 3 small tables in the middle of the small shop but their main business was the line of customers. Heavenly tasting fish, salt and vinegar.

It’s a 6 minute bus ride from Ealing Broadway station on bus E2 or E9 which leaves from across the street (down to the left of the park).

Posted by
2 posts

Rick's son Andy recommends Master's Superfish as well as Poppie's. Are those places considered "proper" fish and chips? Should I buy and take away?