Please sign in to post.

London Hotel before and after RS tour?

We're signed up for a London in Seven Days tour for next February. We plan to arrive a few days early, and stay on a couple of days afterward. I've been in touch with the tour hotel (myHotel Chelsea), but it's about twice what we had hoped to pay, especially for the weekend before the tour begins (240 pounds per night! without breakfast! Yikes!)

Any suggestions? We prefer the Kensington area, but we're not really picky. I noticed a rave review in this forum for Luna Simone, and I'll email them today. I'm also checking with Kensington Gardens Hotel, also in the RS London book. We'd like to pay no more than 100 pounds a night, or less, if possible, with breakfast. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Posted by
2252 posts

Just home from that tour. We spent three days before the tour started at the Lime Tree. It was a relatively short and pretty walk from the Lime Tree to the Chelsea the morning the tour started. The owners are welcoming and lovely folks and the included breakfast was delicious. There is a small courtyard and garden with tables and chairs. We very much enjoyed our stay there. More info in Rick Steves London tour book.

Posted by
13937 posts

I also enjoyed the Lime Tree in August and was going to suggest it, but it was more than 100£/night. A quick look at the website shows 110£ for a single and 165-195£ for doubles. Incidentally, at check out the clerk asked if I wanted Dynamic Currency Conversion and I said no...he said good it's better the other way. I liked the location and the folks at the desk and in the breakfast room were very nice. Breakfast looked fine...I'm vegan so not interested in the traditional English breakfast items. I would stay there again.

Posted by
2252 posts

About the traditional breakfast-yes, that was on the menu but they also offered porridge, fruits, other "continental" breakfast items and wonderful croissants. It was easy (and fun) to mix and match from both sides of the menu!

Posted by
43 posts

Interesting - a one time the london in 7 days stayed at the Lime Tree. I really enjoyed my time there. The rooms were clean and roomy, The staff (run by a family or at least it was), were incredibly helpful. I also am a vegan and had no problem with breakfast; just told them in advance and as one poster mentioned there were many different options. Also the hotel is very centrally located.

Posted by
107 posts

May we suggest the Darlington Hyde Park? We were there a couple years ago and you can read all the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. It's relatively inexpensive. Weekdays in February, 2015 look to be about $140 and weekends are about $10 higher. Besides the adequacy of the accommodations, there are two features of the hotel which are outstanding. The first is location; it's a few blocks from Paddington station, so you have easy access from Heathrow on express train, and a convenient tube stop. The second is the breakfast, which is world famous. Good luck. (There are many, many hotels in this area if you are looking for something less expensive.)

Posted by
13937 posts

I didn't mean to imply I didn't find anything to eat at breakfast as I surely did. I just meant they served the traditional bacony-eggy-sausagey things but I could not comment on whether it was good or not. I believe it is still the same family that runs it.

BTW, altho there are not refrigerators in the rooms they were happy to put a sandwich I had bought at Whole Foods for a Eurostar train to Brussels in the fridge for me overnight.

Posted by
6292 posts

Thanks, all. I checked both these hotels, and I'm going to reserve with the Darlington. Lime Tree looks great, and I like the idea of a family run place, but they want 155L a night. I'm still waiting for rates from the Kensington Gardens; their email said they can't quote prices for Frebruary until December. Luna Simone offered a (cash) rate similar to Darlington's, but I don't think it's quite as convenient.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I hear the Seven Day London tour is great. Happy travels!

Posted by
231 posts

Good for you Jane! The Darlington is really nice and the location is very convenient. You have very easy access to all the tube lines at Paddington, as well as the Central line from Lancaster Gate. You also have a bus stop (Sussex Gardens) about a block away. If you're looking for dinner one night, try Mickey's Fish and Chips. Inside Paddington Station, there are several shops where you can pick up sandwiches and lunchy things.

Posted by
102 posts

Yes, my 7 day London tour used Lime Tree and it was super clean, had a fine english breakfast and was handy to much with easy bus/tube transport. My last two London stays were toward Hyde Park and just a block or two west of Edgeware Road. The Columbia Hotel, is really close to Paddington station. The bus service stopped directly across from the hotel coming and going through the main west end shopping areas and passing into bloomsbury near the British Museum. Neighborhood has convenient shops, and just a block west is one terrific greek restaurant. On Edgware are tasty Hallal fast food restaurants.
Prices very reasonable as are many in this area, and many hotels on every block. There is a hotel within two blocks serving cypriot visitors where I stayed at a rate around 60 pounds a while back-before Olympics. London hotels often charge less over weekends depending on city area. Always use internet information, but I prefer booking direct rather then using hotel search web sites. Prices are comparable and the hotel saves commissions. Not sure of current rates but London keeps rising. Also this hotel was used a as a movie location a couple of years back so...Anyway I loved it.