Please sign in to post.

122 Great Titchfield Street-Recent stays? Reviews? Recommendations?

Hello fellow travelers,

I will be in England this May, and have a tentative reservation (the owners are on holiday until April, when they will get back to me) at 122 Great Titchfield Street in Fitzrovia, London. It was mentioned by a few folks on the RST Travel Forum. However, it seems that most - if not all - of the reviews are more than a few years old (and yes, I did check Travel Advisor, Booking.com, etc). If anyone out there has stayed at this B & B recently, I would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks in advance,
Lydia Baca
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted by
46 posts

oops, my bad...I believe it was Google reviews, not Booking.com reviews which I read.

Posted by
9462 posts

This sounds familiar to me -- I feel like someone on the Forum reviewed this place within the past six months...

Posted by
9462 posts

Yes -- it was definitely a rave review, which is why it stuck in my mind! I do like Fitzrovia and am quite inclined to try this place next time I go, too. I hope you enjoy it - come back and let us know !

Posted by
7280 posts

I’m glad the post link was reposted - thank you, Kim!

Just to reconfirm, Lydia, our stay about this time last year was outstanding, and we’ve reserved a stay again in June this year. Whether you’ve reserved one of the smaller rooms, or the self-catering apartment with the kitchen, you’ll love the location.

The nearby Persian restaurant, Naroon, is highly recommended, for lunch or dinner (we went twice). The Clipstone restaurant, just around the corner from the B&B, is also fabulous.

Cheers,
Cyn
One state north of Santa Fe :)

Posted by
32523 posts

and Cyn has always given good advice here on the Forums (and a few bad jokes). and contributes a lot to the Alphabet game threads - lots of good information on there too although about places - many we've never heard of so every day is a school day - but unfortunately I don't think anybody has posted about a particular B&B or hotel

Posted by
46 posts

Thank you, Cyn! I'm wondering abut the "wet room" shower? I stayed at the Ambassador in Haarlem last May, and found the shower situation just about intolerable. You know the type - mostly open shower on the side of the room, resulting in either a very large puddle, or shallow lake, following ablutions. Very humid, to say the least.

Was this the situation at 122?

Cheers from your southerly neighbor.

Posted by
7280 posts

Well, the wet room … that was a first for me and my husband. As Mike showed us around the apartment space, including how to operate the induction cooktop, we reached the bathroom at last. Sliding door, with sink and countertop at the left wall, and toilet at the right. There’s a big window on the wall straight ahead, with a pull-down window shade. Very effective drain in the floor.

Mike said it was a “wet room,” again something I’d never heard of, and said it had been an experiment. He’s an architect. So you slide the door shut, and turn on the shower. The rainshower water flow is vertical and fairly controlled, so it’s not like being in a swimming pool, and not everything gets drenched, but most of the floor does get wet. It drains surprisingly quickly, but remains wetter longer than we all experience at altitude in Rocky Mountain states. You need to keep the window shade pulled down so that most of the water sheets off of it, and so that its surface is exposed to allow it to continue drying. It all functions as a bathroom, but requires some extra coordinating to deal with showering and needing the toilet before or immediately after. And while showering, the rest of the room isn’t getting used. As with any British bathroom, there’s not an electrical outlet in it, so hairdryer (included with the stay) or any other electrical item has to be plugged in and used elsewhere. That electrical regulation actually makes sense with this wet room.

So it wasn’t intolerable, just different. But you’re in The City Different, so I imagine that you’ll do just fine.

Posted by
316 posts

Hello
I loved staying in Fitzrovia. I stayed here in January and it was very nice. 122 Great Titchfield.I stayed in the “bigger room” my travel companion stayed in the smaller room. She loved the small’s view but wasn’t happy with carpet in the room. The people living there were very nice. We didn’t have the full breakfast as we had to leave early and at before 8:00 you just get a croissant and coffee. Since we didn’t have the full breakfast- so not able to give advice about that. It was in a great location and neighborhood. There were some great restaurants in the area and tube station close by. I recommend. Their dog was so cute. We only stayed a couple of days. I prefer boutique hotels but this was fine. If you stay in the larger room in the front I think you will like it.
EDIT- I’m adding the local restaurants we went to in Fitzrovia that we loved:
1947 London- delicious and fancy Indian restaurant with beautiful (but a little loud) atmosphere
Salt Yard- fantastic Spanish Tapas restaurant.
The Attendant- you MUST stop here if nothing else just to see it! A Victorian-era public toilet turned trendy coffee shop.
We had heard about Clipstone but it was booked when we tried to get reservations.
I reiterate what above posters said about for the price in London- this can’t be beat!

Posted by
46 posts

Good evening Cyn,

Wow. Your detailed description is really helpful. Truthfully, I'm kinda rethinking this, as I will be there for a full week. In Haarlem, I was able to use extra towels to keep the water under control but that would be an unlikely scenario at a B&B. You know, nobody to haul out the sodden mass each day. However, the place does sound great otherwise. I have another day or so to think this one through, as the owners return next week.

Many thanks! I am very grateful for your time and your thoughts.

Best,
Lydia

Posted by
46 posts

Dear Lisa,

I very much appreciate your information about 122 Great Titchfield. Sounds very nice (except for the "wet shower"), and I am looking forward to the neighborhood - Fitzrovia. Actually, I generally avoid B&Bs. It's just that this property popped up a few times, and curiosity got the better of me. I much prefer small boutique-y hotels-just don't know of one in Fitzrovia.

Thank you so much for your input!

All the best,
Lydia Baca

Posted by
7280 posts

There was a big squeegee that we were politely asked to use after each shower, taking just a few seconds to wipe down the walls on the showerhead end and also the window shade, and to direct water towards the drain that hadn’t already flowed down it. The room is big enough that it wasn’t like being inside a small shower stall, and water didn’t go everywhere. It was more funky than inconvenient. Certainly preferable to some of the places with tiny shower stalls, some of those with partial walls or panels that don’t contain the water nearly as effectively as the design at 122 Great Titchfield.

The suite was more independent apartment than typical B&B room. The fridge was stocked with eggs, milk, etc. to get us started the first couple of days, and we supplanted that for the rest of our week from the Tesco a 2-minute walk around the corner. There’s not a Full English fry-up. I understand that with the smaller rooms, a daily breakfast is delivered to the door. Different prices, different arrangements, for slightly different travel styles.

Edit: There’s a big Holiday Inn a few blocks up the street, nearer the Tube station, but I’m not aware of any boutique-y places … certainly nothing anywhere with such a reasonable price!

Posted by
46 posts

Very helpful, Cyn! This information makes me feel like it could work for me. (Truly, the bathroom in Haarlem was like being in a lake after each shower!)

Have a good evening,
Lydia

Posted by
7280 posts

Lydia, as I was editing my previous post, I see that you replied, too. I’ll just reiterate that, for a very nice place in Central London, the price sealed the deal for us!

Enjoy May in London. I’ll be there just afterwards.