Please sign in to post.

train from Copenhagen to Stockholm

I would like to know if it it pertinent to purchase train tickets from Copenhagen to Stockholm in advance (departing july 27).Several on this site have commented on buying tickets prior to travel abroad is a must.
I also would like to confirm the best routes for travel. I am staying in Nyhavn area and going to Gamla Stan.***Would the route be Kobenhavn H to Stockholm Sodra?*
Is the SJ site my only option?
Do the rates fluctuate similar to airline tickets?

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you.
Just curious why Stockholm Central and not Stockholm Sodra? There seems to be construction on that day and the site says I will have to take an additional train, but looks like Sodra station may be a direct train. I'm not certain about the area ,so just asking to save hassle of having to redo ticket. I've never purchased train tickets ahead of time and now there seems to be a kink in the plan. ugh

Posted by
971 posts

You're right, there is construction work going on, so all long distance trains stop in Södra, from where you will have to change to a commuter train to get to Central. this is either a small kink or no problem at all, depending on where you hotel is located.

Posted by
6384 posts

Yes, buy your tickets in advance. They will only get more expensive the longer you wait. And buy them direct from SJ and not from any 3rd party reseller.

And in Stockholm the train stops at Stockholm Södra, so that is your only choice. You can enter another station and get a connecting journey if you want to. But Gamla Stan is not that far from Södra station, walking distance if the weather is nice or a short bus or metro ride.

Posted by
5516 posts

I think its a long walk from Stockholms Södra to Gamla Stan when toting luggage.

There are several buses that stop at the station if you want to shorten the walk with your luggage. The buses will either connect you with a tunnelbana station or get you closer to Gamla Stan. You can use the planner on the SL site to see options. https://sl.se/en/

Posted by
6384 posts

It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Södra station to Gamla stan.

Posted by
5516 posts

It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Södra station to Gamla stan.

Badger, you must be a very fast walker. I know that I could not get from Södra to Gamla Stan with a suitcase that quickly. I just checked googlemaps and it shows the distance from Södra to the Gamla Stan tunnelbana station as 1.6 km. I’d happily walk the distance without a suitcase, but I know I am much slower when carrying a bag.

Posted by
7667 posts

We did the trip in reverse, going from Stockholm Central to Copenhagen Airport. If you are staying in Gamla Stan, you should leave go to Stockholm Central.

The Stockholm Södra is on the large island south of Gamla Stan.

Posted by
6384 posts

Badger, you must be a very fast walker.

Maybe. But I also know that you shouldn't trust Google maps too much when it comes to walking distance as it only thinks you can walk on roads. And not the, in my opinion, best route; through the park between Södra station and Medborgarplatsen. I also thought about the walking distance to the southern end of Gamla stan and not to the metro station. Then add a few minutes depending on where the hotel is.