Please sign in to post.

Suggestions needed

We’re arriving in Copenhagen on 6/13 and only plan on spending a couple days there. We are looking for another place to take a train or plane ride to for a couple days. Suggestions?

Posted by
676 posts

The train to Stockholm is 6 hours, and it's a great city. Oslo is 7.5 and you can do the fjords of you have enough time. Make plans quickly for either though as June is likely to by busy for both. I'm not sure what there is to do in Malmo, Sweden, but I remember Ryanair flew there (still might) so there must be some things to do.

Posted by
27122 posts

Malmo's about a 40-minute train ride from Copenhagen.

If I had only two days to spare, I wouldn't want to get on a plane or take a long train trip. At the end of the two days will you need to return to Copenhagen, or will you be moving on to a new location? If the latter, what is that new location?

Posted by
8 posts

We are flying into Heathrow on 5/30 and will spend a few days in Bath and London before embarking on a 10day cruise ending in Copenhagen on 6/13. We will fly back to the US on 6/17 or 6/18. We cannot get a direct flight back from Copenhagen on our airline miles.

Posted by
27122 posts

In that case, I'd be shooting for a place with good air links to your US airport--a place with stuff to see that won't mean too much transportation time for you. Hamburg? Would there be flight connections from Aarhus or Odense? Let's see what the experts say.

Gothenburg is closer than Stockholm

Malmo and Lund are the closest spots I've actually been to, but their closest airport is Copenhagen...

I'm not coming up with a good option here.

Posted by
6396 posts

How much are "a couple of days"? How far are you willing to travel? What are you interested in? What places do the cruise visit? A bit more information would make it easier to give advice.

Stockholm is 5 hours away by train, Gothenburg 5 hours. Malmö is not that interesting to be honest (but some low cost airlines use Malmö airport as a cheap alternative to Copenhagen) but there are other town in southern Sweden and you can consider Lund, Helsingborg or Ystad.

In that case, I'd be shooting for a place with good air links to your
US airport--a place with stuff to see that won't mean too much
transportation time for you. Hamburg? Would there be flight
connections from Aarhus or Odense? Let's see what the experts say.

If NJ means New Jersey, there are direct flights from both Copenhagen, Stockholm, Gothenburg and Oslo to Newark. Hamburg and Århus have much smaller airports. And while Odense has an airport, the only commercial flights are some occasional charter flights.

Posted by
137 posts

We cannot get a direct flight back from Copenhagen on our airline miles.
So from where do you want to return? Or it doesn't matter since you plan to self-connect in London regardless?

You can easily stay in Copenhagen all those days and do daytrips to for example Roskilde, Helsingør, Lund and Ystad.

If you want to stay somewhere else for a couple of days, Karlskrona is one idea, but then I would go to Karlskrona first and back to Copenhagen to avoid a self connection between the train from Karlskrona and the flight.

And lastly flights don't go to Malmö, they go from Malmö :-) But a canal tour in Malmö can be nice combined with a day in Lund

Posted by
7668 posts

Stockholm is a bit far, I suggest, doing what we did, take a day tour to visit the Viking Museum at Roskilde.
https://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en/
Also, our tour visited some castles in the area.

In Copenhagen, do a canal cruse, visit the Mermaid, Royal Palace and lots of other things in the city.