Please sign in to post.

scandinavia trip April 2018

Hi, I am from Singapore, I will be travelling to Scandinavia with my Husband and my 6 years old Daughter.

Below is my itinerary :

22 April, Arrive at Copenhagen at 1230pm
23 April, Copenhagen (full day 1)
24 April, Copenhagen (full day 2)
25 April, Copenhagen (full day 3)
26 April, Copenhagen to Bergen
27 April, Bergen (full day)
28 April, Bergen to Stockholm
29 April, Stockholm (full day)
30 April, Stockholm (full day)
1 May, Stockholm to Copenhagen
2 May, Copenhagen back to Singapore

Please give me some advise if this is doable or should I drop off Bergen ?

Thank you in advance !

Posted by
971 posts

Yes it is doable. For flights between the Scandinavian cities check out the airlines Norwegian and SAS.
Have you considered doing the Norway in a Nutshell boat and train journey from Bergen to Oslo , in order to see some of that amazing fjord and mountain scenery that Norway is famous for?

Posted by
7 posts

Hi,

I am not sure if I have enough time to do the Norway in a Nutshell boat and train journey from Bergen to Oslo. From Bergen I will take the boat to oslo and go to Stockholm from oslo?

Btw , any feedback if I will to change my itinerary to

22 April, Arrive at Copenhagen at 1230pm
23 April, Copenhagen (full day 1)
24 April, Copenhagen (full day 2)
25 April, Copenhagen (full day 3)
26 April, Copenhagen to Iceland
27 April, Iceland
28 April, Iceland
29 April, Iceland
30 April, Iceland
1 May, Iceland to Copenhagen
2 May, Copenhagen back to Singapore

Posted by
971 posts

Your first itinerary is very city focused, whereas Iceland is all about nature. Have you considered what it is you want to see on this trip?

Posted by
7 posts

I am thinking of mixing a trip with city and nature. Initially I want to go for copenhagen and Iceland but not sure if 4 full days in Iceland is sufficient. I don’t want a itinerary that is too packed as I am travelling with my 6 year old Daughter :)

Posted by
882 posts

It appears your Scandinavian adventure begins in Copenhagen on April 22 and ends on May 2. You have ten days in Scandinavia.
You have selected a beautiful part of the world, deserving much more than a ten day visit. However, much can be seen in ten days if you focus on locations of interest and minimize travel within that ten day span.
As much as I love Iceland, I would eliminate it from this trip.
Instead, I would focus on Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and Bergen, and I might eliminate Bergen, much as I like it. I would cut one day out of your itinerary in Copenhagen and add three days in Oslo.
Your revised trip would be:
22 April Arrive Copenhagen
23 April Copenhagen
24 April Copenhagen
25 April Copenhagen to Oslo
26 April Oslo
27 April Oslo
28 April Oslo to Stockholm
29 April Stockholm
30 April Stockholm
May 1 Stockholm to Copenhagen
May 2 Fly home

I would suggest looking into Eurail Passes although flights within Scandinavia can be very inexpensive.
I hope this is helpful.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi Blue439, thanks for your suggestion. I will read up on oslo. I read about Bergen, am keen to visit it. Anyway to add on to the itinerary ?
I think i will leave out iceland for this trip.

Posted by
3207 posts

I would save Iceland for a solely Iceland trip, and at a different time of year...but I'm not an Iceland fan presently.

As you mentioned your 6 year old daughter, I'd recommend revamping your original plan, and have your daughter spend the winter reading the Pippi Longstocking books. Spend 2 nights (1 full day) in Vimmerby, Sweden for total immersion in Pippi Longstocking and Astrid Lindgren. However, check to make sure you know what is open the time of year that you are traveling. Sweden is very much an outdoor country, so you should be able to get your own outdoors experiences as well. Don't shorten Stockholm, either. I'd drop Bergen. When traveling with my daughter, it was always a balance, usually shifting more towards her (particularly the teenage years), but seeing her experience her form of travel was as fun for me as doing my own thing.

As you are going to Copenhagen, I assume you will be going to Legoland as well for her.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi Wray, i did plan for Legoland but dropped it out. I read thru online, and many was saying it is unable for a daytrip. As I am not planning to stay in billund. :( was hoping I can bring my girl to the Legoland too..

Posted by
971 posts

As you can see, you have a lot to choose from and not enough time. For this trip I would also leave out Iceland, but the rest of the proposed itineraries on this thread all have their merits. Personally I think Oslo is the least interesting of the Scandinavian capitals and the nature around Oslo is not as impressive as around Bergen. The nature in Sweden is mostly forests and more flat than Norway.
Copenhagen to Legoland is 3 hours by train and bus, so unless it's a priority, I would suggests some of the other usual day trips from Copenhagen, such as Roskilde, Helsingør and Frederiksborg Castle.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi Morten ,

How about this revised itinerary

22 April, Arrive Copenhagen
23 April, Copenhagen
24 April, Copenhagen
25 April, Copenhagen
26 April, Copenhagen to Stockholm
27 April, Stockholm
28 April, Stockholm
29 April, Stockholm to Copenhagen
30 April, Copenhagen, day trip to Helsingør, Louisiana Museum and Kronborg Castle
1 May, Copenhagen , day trip to odense, egeskov castle
2 May, Copenhagen to Singapore

If I want to add in Bergen, do I need to remove one of the day and replace with Bergen ? Or just follow my first itinerary ?
For the first 3 days of in Copenhagen I will explore places like the aquarium, tivoli garden, Copenhagen Zoo, nyhavn, Rosenborg Castle, christiansborg palace..

Posted by
971 posts

Both itineraris are possible, you just have to choose what you want to include and what to omit. I don't think I can make that decision for you.