Please sign in to post.

Scandinavia

A general question,
Is it too late January 20, to plan a trip to Denmark, Sweden, Norway etc. Mid May 2024. Perhaps 3 weeks? Fairly well versed travelers, seniors but used to “diy” and lots of walking. We are not “big” on tour groups but perhaps it’s necessary?

Thank you

Posted by
23 posts

Perhaps a suggested itinerary would be nice. We are thinking of following Ricks’ 15 day tour but on our own.

Posted by
5517 posts

We are thinking of following Ricks’ 15 day tour but on our own.

I find the the RS itineraries too rushed to do on your own. However, if you stretch the 15 days to 3 weeks, that could work. Scandinavia is pretty easy to do on your own, but it is a big area geographically.

Posted by
23 posts

Perhaps 3 or even 4 weeks might be a better plan? Still following Ricks’ 15 day itinerary.

Posted by
4520 posts

If I recall the RS itinerary starts or ends in Bergen. If you are doing the same, book your ticket to start or end there. It will save a lot of money with no backtracking to Oslo.

From LAX look at SAS or SkyTeam (KLM, Delta) for the most convenient flights.

Posted by
6392 posts

Perhaps a suggested itinerary would be nice.

Perhaps it could. This is a forum, not a free travel agent. I'm happy to answer questions, but I'm not planning trips for other. However, if you have a fortnight or so, Stockholm-Copenhagen-Oslo-Bergen or Copenhagen-Stockholm-Oslo-Bergen are popular routes. Or the other way around. If you have more time, you can add some more stops.

Posted by
114 posts

We are in the beginning stages of planning for mid-June 2024 so I definitely hope it is not too late, lol. Our plan (decided this weekend) is to do Copenhagen and Stockholm as we like to immerse ourselves and not cram a lot into a couple of days. We will be flying to Copenhagen from London (we are going to the Mets vs Phillies game at London Stadium first).

From everything I have been reading it is totally possible to DIY with no need for an organized tour.

Posted by
27120 posts

Lodging in the area around the Sognefjord in Norway (the area through which the Norway in a Nutshell route goes) can be difficult to find even if you're looking 6-8 months in advance. Flam is the toughest spot because it's where the Flamsbana railroad ends and the Naeroyfjord ferry trip starts. If you want to take the Nutshell trip (it is beautiful) and don't want to do the whole thing in one day, I think your first priority should be figuring out where you want to break that trip and when so you can try to find a place to sleep ASAP. Scandinavia is very expensive, but lodging availability in the cities wasn't much of a problem for me in 2022 or 2023, just being willing to pay for it.

You didn't mention whether you'll be renting a car or using public transportation. It would probably be extremely costly to pick up a rental car in one country and drop it in another; international drop charges are usually horrendous.