Please sign in to post.

Planning Trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm Summer 2017

My husband (70) and I (65) are planning a 10-12 day visit to both these cities end of June /July of 2017. We are from the USA and are trying to "shape" our trip. From info I've gathered so far, many like Coppenhagen, but urge more time allowed in visiting Stockholm. I am an above knee amputee, get around quite well, but am definitely not a long distance walker everyday, so please take that into consideration when offering your wise advice. These are some beginning questions:

1) Which city best/easier/less costly to fly into/out of? We will do open jaw trip, flying into one-out the other. Any airlines liked over others and why?

2) It sounds like it is best to be in the center of the city to see most attractions. I realize that the temperatures are not hot, but an amputee functions best when dressing, etc in an AC environment so the prosthesis fits best for walking outside. An elevator is also a must in the hotel. Steps are harder and there are plenty in visiting attractions. I don't need more upon returning to rest. We can afford nice hotels, but no need to "break the bank" as most of the time we hope to be out seeing the sights and food, and meeting new people. So---thoughts on nice hotels?

3) What is the best way to get from one city to the other, and any side trips you think are a must out of either of these lovely places?

4) Are there any festivals or city happenings in those two months we would want to avoid as then the city can become jammed with visitors?

I appreciate any knowledge you can share in helping us get started in our planning.

Posted by
272 posts

We recently did this same trip to Copenhagen and Stockholm for 2 weeks. Left from San Francisco on United using all our points - so we went business class and changed planes at LHR. Nice using the lounges as well. Copenhagen airport is manageable as the train to central Copenhagen is easy to find and use - about 20 minutes to Central Station. There are several hotels around Central station and it is just a block from the old town area. We stayed at the Hotel Alexandra. It has an elevator but no A/C.

We stayed in Copenhagen for 9 days - as we were meeting friends as well as our son and girlfriend. On our own, we would have split the days between the 2 cities. With your situation, I would look for a hotel within the old town area, but there are a lot of cobblestones. Nice areas to explore is the area around the Norreport Station with the Torvehallerne (food market), Botanical Garden, and Rosenborg Castle and park nearby. There were several hotels in the area as well.

Outside of town, we took the train to The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. We walked from the train station, but I would think a cab would be available. The grounds are easy to walk as is the museum - outstanding views from the restaurant and garden - and we enjoyed the art.

We took the 5 hour train to Stockholm from the airport. Easy to get there from Central Station and there are only 2 tracks at the airport station - one goes to Sweden and the other back to Central Station. However, the tickets we purchased at Central station a few days before, did not match the posted schedule. The passport control people were of no help. We had the 12:16 ticket, but there was no posting of either our train # or our time. We just got on a train to Malmo - 3 stops - and sought help there. Turns out we were on the right train all along.

In Stockholm, we took a cab to our hotel, Miss Clara. We pick hotels for price and appearance, rather than location. Looking back, I would have preferred to stay near the water and near the Grand Hotel. I recommend that area as it is level without construction going on. It is near the Hop-on Hop-off boat, (highly recommend) shopping, Djurgardan Island with the outstanding Vasa Museum, and Gamla Stan (old town). Gamla Stan is all cobblestones and rises to a hill at central square. The walking is fairly easy and the Nobel Museum is on the square, as well as several restaurants. Also recommended is the tour of City Hall, where the Nobel Banquet is held. An extremely interesting building with lovely rooms, though starting and ending with a huge staircase. I'm sure they have an elevator and you should surely check, as the tour is one of our highlights of our visit to Stockholm.

Restaurant/Bar recommendations include Gondolen Bar - overlooking the harbor, Fotografiska Cafe, and Mathias Dahlgren @ The Grand Hotel (separate entrance from the street). Getting to the first 2 can be difficult as there is major construction near the Gondolen Bar. You can take the hop-on, hop-off boat to the Fotografiska and walk down to the Gondolen Bar. There are 2 elevators to the top and the top 2 floors have an outside viewing area and bar; the floor below has an enclosed restaurant and a bar with an eating area. Of course by the summer of 2017, the construction may be completed in that area.

We did not explore the Stockholm airport but it is 50 minutes outside of town. There is a tram going into Central Stockholm.
Enjoy your trip and happy planning!

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks, Gail. I appreciate your taking the time to write so much helpful information for us! I love these forums as you get plenty of ideas to research. We are excited about the trip!

Posted by
3200 posts

With your mobility issue, most people would pick a hotel on Gamla Stan near Slussen (where you can get ferries, etc.) Something like the First Hotel Reison or anything on Skeppsbron, Gamla Stan. Skeppsbron is flat as it is on the edge of the island, and it can lead you to other islands. This is centrally located so you can walk to the photography museum with the only hill being the relatively low bridge onto Sodermalm or take short walks up Gamla Stan, which is a hill. In fact, several of the islands are hills so I'm not sure from where the description of Stockholm being flat came. However, once you are up the hill it is flat... At this location you could enjoy several islands and staying on the edge you don't have to deal with the hills. Or stay right at the train station and take taxis to the top of the islands where possible and then stroll. This lovely hotel is in a nice spot near the train station and waterfront, The Radisson Blu Waterfront. As for air conditioning...this is not a hot city at any time of year and with the water I would think it would seldom require AC; however, with your prosthetic, only you can be the judge of that.

Or stay on my favorite island as it is less touristy and there are fewer cobblestones. Look at the Hotel Rival, Mariatorget 3, Södermalm. It is right across from a small neighborhood park and close to the tunnelbana. It has a sidewalk bar, which overlooks the park that is a lovely place to people watch or picnic in the small park. The tunnelbana would get you close to things you want to visit in the city instead of walking so much (or taxi). I didn't use the tunnelbana (subway) as I walked everywhere (and I love Sodermalm itself) so it is that close to Gamla Stan and slussen. There is an old area on this island as well, above slussen. If you can walk up one hill, there is a beautiful stroll overlooking the several islands of Stockholm, including Gamla Stan. I stayed a block away at a less upscale small hotel, but I loved it, Hotel Hornsgatan. And Hotel Rival is a couple blocks away from the best falafel place in Stockholm! Read the Millennium series by Steig Larsson (Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, etc. or watch the Swedish Version of the movies).

Arlanda Airport is easy. If you stay on Sodermalm ask your hotelier for the fixed airport receipt and taxi there. If you stay within walking distance of the central train station, just take the Arlanda Express.

Posted by
3586 posts

The boat tours on the canals of Copenhagen are very worthwhile and a relaxing way to see a lot of the city's architecture. I think I'm remembering correctly that you buy the tickets at the TI office.