Please sign in to post.

Money

We will be in Copenhagen at the beginning of May for 3 days. I understand that cash is seldom used, except for smaller purchases. I also read that many times there will be an additional charge in Denmark when using a credit card. I'm not referring to the any extra charges I might get from my credit card company (which I avoid with my credit card).
I welcome hearing people’s experiences with money and any recommendations related to using credit cards, ATM machines, etc.

Posted by
863 posts

We spent two weeks in Denmark in September 2022. We used our credit cards everywhere and weren't charged anything extra to do so. We have a Visa and a Mastercard.

Posted by
610 posts

Spent a week in Copenhagen last September. Primarily used credit card. No surcharges were added to any of my purchases (dining, shopping, transportation or accommodations). No discounts were offered for using cash. This does not imply that what you may have heard doesn’t exist. Make sure that all credit card expenses are charged in the local currency. Also, I use an ATM card that does not charge foreign transaction fees and that reimburses ATM fees charged internationally. I used an ATM once to get cash for the street food vendors near Nyhavn.

Posted by
48 posts

Thanks to both posters!

raymonelee - I sent you a private message as we're both in CT.

Posted by
128 posts

A few places in Copenhagen charge for use of non-EU cards, but not very many. Getting cash isn't free either, I think most ATMs charge 50DKK and your own bank might have fees too.

Posted by
6299 posts

Hi, SEAsiaTraveler,

Like the others, I used credit cards exclusively in Copenhagen when I was there last year and never had any problems, nor was I ever charged a fee for doing so. In fact, since I was only there for 3 nights, I did not bother to get any Danish krone from ATMs - I just used Apple Wallet or my credit cards. Very easy.

Posted by
48 posts

Another thought/question - is cash (Danish) also accepted everywhere? Getting used to cards, machines (to buy tickets), cell phones, apps, etc. is not easy for 70+ year olds :) !

Posted by
134 posts

Yes, by law all shops have to accept cash until 10 PM in the evening (with only few exceptions), so you can get around with cash just fine. However machines don't have to accept cash, only humans do - so if you're dealing with a ticket machine, maybe it will only accept payment by card.

I live here, and honestly can't remember the last time I used cash. All I have is a few coins in my wallet, and they've been in there for a looooong time

Posted by
353 posts

Yes,credit card for even small amounts.
I bring at least one additional credit card when I am in Copenhagen.

Posted by
75 posts

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that there is no need for any cash in Denmark. However, I notice in this thread that on poster did say they needed cash for street vendors? What has been people's recent experience with food trucks and hot dog vendors on the street. Will they take credit cards or not?

Posted by
48 posts

Indeed, we paid for everything with a credit card.....except when we were at the flea market. Luckily the woman there selling French soaps said she'd take euros which we did have.

Posted by
353 posts

I carry at least one additional credit card when I am in Denmark or stockholm. The only time that credit cards were not accepted was in the semi autonomous area of Copenhagen, Christiana. I had zero cash. I wanted a special brownie, cash only. But I was given it as a good will gift