Please sign in to post.

Layover in Copenhagen

I will be traveling from the US to Paris via SAS for the holidays. On my flight back I have a 14 hour layover in Copenhagen. Is it worth leaving the airport to see a little bit of the area? How long should I give myself to get back to the airport and through to my gate the next morning?

Posted by
6375 posts

So you are arriving in the afternoon and leaving next morning? I'd say yes, it is worth it. Just because a city hotel will be more fun than an airport hotel. And it is pretty easy to get to central Copenhagen, 14 minutes by metro to Kongens Nytorv.

Copenhagen airport is not that big so you don't need as much time as you would if leaving from Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle, and it is usually very efficient. Since you are already checked in all you need to worry about is security and passport control.

Posted by
7 posts

Ok thank you. I get into Copenhagen at 940 pm and leave the next day at 1220pm.

Posted by
134 posts

Yes, you should leave the airport and see a little bit of the area. The city is a quick 10-15 minute metro or train ride away, so I don't see any reason to stay in the dull airport area when you can stay in a downtown hotel and explore the city for a few hours before going back to the airport. A ticket only cost 36 DKK each way, or a 24 hour pass for 80 DKK. The Kgs. Nytorv area is nice and central. You could go on a quick canal cruise, see Nyhavn or drop by a few key POI if you feel like it, such as Rosenborg Castle for example.

Posted by
27110 posts

It's going to be at least 10:30 PM (2230 for our European readers) by the time you get to downtown Copenhagen. What time will it be once you've checked into a hotel, gotten your bags upstairs and returned to the lobby to begin your exploration of the city? Nearly 11 PM (2300), I'd guess. Then you have a 1220 PM departure the next day. Do you have a bag to check at the airport, or can you go straight to the gate? Even if you are traveling carry-on-only, I can't imagine showing up at an airport--even a comparatively small one--for a transatlantic flight less than 2 hours before departure time. That's 10:20 AM, which means leaving downtown Copenhagen before 10 AM. How much are you going to be able to do early on a winter morning, allowing enough time to get back to the hotel to pick up your bags and get to your airport transportation?

Since this is an overnight layover, it doesn't seem worth it to me unless you are a night owl who plans to hit the nightspots and stay up very late.

Posted by
6375 posts

If you land 21:40 you should be able to be in central Copenhagen earlier than 22:30. Is it a most a 10 minute walk from the gate to the metro, and then a 14 minute metro ride (and probably a few minutes waiting time). Any checked in bag should stay at the airport so when you return to the airport you need to have time for security (including whatever extra security needed for a flight to the US), passport check and a 10 minute walk. The gate closes 35 minutes before departure so arriving 2 hours before departure is plenty of time. While I have never flown from Copenhagen so I have no experience with security there, I would probably be comfortable with less. It is a small and efficient airport.

Of course you will not see much of Copenhagen. But a city hotel will, in my opinion, be nicer than an airport hotel and will at least let you see a bit of the city.

Posted by
130 posts

I think you need to ask if your luggage really is checked through with an overnight layover.

The extra security for US flights is done at the gate, a few extra questions for everyone and a some are (randomly?) selected for an extra security check.

Boarding time is 45 minutes before departure.

Posted by
7 posts

I will check with the airline on the way over if my bag will stay at the airport. I will just pack mt overnight stuff in my backpack. Is a new Covid test going to be needed do you think if I leave the airport? I don’t want to sleep at the airport if necessary even if I don’t get to see much.

Also should I be concerned that my layover from the US to Paris in Copenhagen is only 1:20 mins? I am flying SAS and have not been able to find if my bag is checked all the way through or if I have to retrieve and recheck it.

Posted by
134 posts

For the 1h20m layover: If you're flying SAS and both flights are on the same booking and on the same ticket, then your bags should be checked in all the way to Paris - no re-check in required in Copenhagen Airport. If you're in doubt, I recommend checking with the airline.

Copenhagen Airport requires 45 minutes of transfer time when you're traveling intercontinental - so 1 hour 20 minutes is enough time (probably about half an hour more than you strictly need to make the connection). It is however good that you have that extra half hour to absorb any delays which may occur, either because your arriving flight is a little late or in case there's a line at passport control - but generally Copenhagen Airport is quite efficient, so I wouldn't worry.

Posted by
6375 posts

I agree with broccolihaar, you have more time than you need on your way to Paris. Copenhagen airport is small an very efficient and it is probably just a 5-10 minute walk between the gates.

Posted by
30 posts

We have a 22-hour layover in Copenhagen on our upcoming trip. We're staying in a hotel in central Copenhagen. Are they doing Covid testing at the airport?

Posted by
7 posts

I have a 14 hour layover and with all the restriction changes I concerned about leaving the airport so I just purchased a 1 day pass to the SAS lounge as I have concerns about testing and my bag etc..