Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Copenhagen

Does anyone have recommendations for hotels in Copenhagen? My sister and I are looking.

Posted by
1277 posts

Hi -

We spent several days in Copenhagen at the Wake Up Borgegarde (I think that's how it's spelt!) which was a couple of streets back from Nyhaven and handy for all the main sights, i.e., we walked to them all. The Little Mermaid is quite a walk out of town and is probably best visited early evening when the coach trip and cruise line passenger throngs have departed.

The rooms are clean and quite small and have the semi transparent bathroom door that seems to bother some. Then again, you'll hopefully not be spending too much time there all being well! Plus side is that for Copenhagen, the prices, booked in advance via booking.com, were reasonable if not give away cheap. Nice pizza restaurant almost opposite.

Only downside is that the station and Tivoli Gardens are quite a long stroll away down Stroget. The Tivoli Gardens didn't really float our boat so to speak but the station was necessary for day trips to Helsingor (Elsinor) and Roskilde to see the cathedral and longship museum (the Roskilde trip being absolutely compulsory if in Copenhagen for any time at all in my view).

Have a great trip!

Ian

Posted by
302 posts

I just returned from Copenhagen and stayed at Cabinn, the location is only minutes from the train station and Tivoli. Booking.com is a great resource, and Trip Advisor, for reviews. The location was perfect, the room, their most basic size, was inexpensive by Copenhagen standards ( but did not include breakfast- you can pay for a basic buffet). If you will almost never be in the room, aren't claustrophobic and won't have much luggage it could work! Bunk beds, and the shower IS the bathroom, you pull a circular curtain around yourself!

Posted by
533 posts

Cabinn also has several sizes of rooms if you want a bit more room to spread out. I stayed in their standard (not economy) room, which was perfect for one person, would have been OK for two but a tight squeeze for three (there was one double bed and a twin-sized top bunk, but three people would have gotten in each other's way pretty quickly). There are "commodore" and "captain" rooms that are larger. I prepaid the 75 kr (about $12) daily for breakfast, but I kind of wish I hadn't - there's a teakettle in the room already (the important part for me) and plenty of places in the area to grab a pastry, piece of fruit, or similar.

Posted by
1321 posts

two comments:

1) previous poster: you probably mean "Borgergade"

2) use http://rejseplanen.dk to plan your trips. If you stay around Nyhavn in many cases Østerbro Station or Kongens Nytorv Metro Station is better than the central station.

Posted by
398 posts

We were in Copenhagen in September/October 2015, and stayed at the Kong Arthur Hotel. I would highly recommend it. Our room was very nice, and we really liked the location - walking distance to plenty including 5 minutes away from the Norreport Station (from which you can get anywhere), but also down a quiet side street near one of the canals. It was close to the Rosenborg Castle and gardens, etc. I booked using credit card points, but I believe if you book directly you get free breakfast and there is a spa too (we didn't use it). At the time we went, they also had a free "cozy hour" from 5-6 pm, during which you could get a free beer or wine and some snacks (which was pretty welcome in a city where 2 drinks in a bar could easily be $20-25).

Posted by
14946 posts

I stayed at the Absalon hotel in late May. Very nice. Two short blocks to the train station. Nice breakfast. No a/c.

Posted by
4 posts

Central Copenhagen is fairly small so I would not worry too much about where the hotel is located. It will only take you fifteen or twenty minutes to walk to just about any sight. Public transit is good but you a bit confusing because there are both local trains and the metro and you may have to transfer from one to the other. If you are traveling outside the city, you can get to the Central Station fairly quickly from just about anywhere by train (or bicycle).
The best hotel we stayed at was the Admiral, which is near Nyhavn but it can be expensive. We stayed at Ibsens, which was a little cramped but otherwise fine and the staff was friendly and efficient. I would stay away from the Copenhagen Star. We have stayed in probably twenty European hotels in the last five years and this was by far the worst. When I walked in the door my first thought was, "This is depressing." I sent an email to Rick Steves telling him that he needs to take another look at the place because I do not understand why it ever made his recommended list.