Please sign in to post.

driving in Denmark

I am trying to get a clear understanding of what are the requirements for driving in Denmark and would love some confirmation.

I CAN use my U.S. Driver's license, correct?
Is insurance provided by the car rental company adequate? We purchased the additional coverage from Allianz that includes $75,000 in Rental Car Damage and Theft Protection.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
1323 posts

You need your driving license AND half of the registration with you, but if you rent a car the rental company will give you a package with all the cars papers. And yes if the car is registered in Denmark the police will be able to see any information about it - probably down to when it was last serviced.

If you are between the ages of 16-25 you can buy a DSB “WildCard” for 185 DKK per year. This gives you discounts ranging from 25-50% on your tickets and an additional 10% discount in DSB’s shops. The card is well worth it if you do the trip Aarhus/CPH more than once in a year (or equivalent journeys). If you cannot produce a valid ticket in the trains in Denmark you will be fined 750 DKK.
Current registration is in two parts. To re-register the vehicle you need both parts. When driving abroad authorities recommend bringing part I with you (leave part II at home).
Source: Back side of registration papers. More you can check here:
https://www.historycoloredglasses.com/2017/03/five-reasons-next-trip-scandinavia/ shaglevoojio

Posted by
134 posts

While I don't think it's strictly relevant to the OP's question, I'll just comment on thrum-closure.02's post to help others avoid confusion.

The DSB WildCard was discontinued years ago. It's been replaced by a flat 25% discount when traveling on youth tickets for everyone 16 - 25 years old, no additional card required.