Please sign in to post.

Copenhagen visit

As with so many others we are keen to get traveling again. For reasons beyond our control we are available until early October. Will it be very cold and rainy during that time? We are fit seniors who enjoy walking, museums, architecture. We have 10 days which we would spend mostly in Copenhagen and day trips by train. I don’t mind cold weather..we are Canadian after all and we did a week in Iceland in September some years ago. Any thoughts?

Posted by
134 posts

Hi,

Danish weather is notoriously unpredictable, so take everything you hear about the weather here with a grain of salt.

According to the climate statistics, you should expect daytime temperatures around 5-10 degrees C. October is one of the more wet months, and you’re likely to experience rainfall every other day on average. However, when it rains, it usually comes in showers. But I would definitely bring a rain coat either way!

10 days in Copenhagen is more than most people spend. You could divide it up and spend X number of days in Copenhagen and X number of days elsewhere in the country, but you don’t have to. There are a lot of possible day trips from Copenhagen, incl. Helsingør (Kronborg), Hillerød (Fredensborg), Roskilde (Viking Ship Museum + Cathedral), Louisiana Art Museum, Arken Art Museum and numerous places in southern Sweden as well.

Expect tourist attractions outside the cities to be closed or have restricted opening hours, as October isn’t peak tourist season - the positive side is that you won’t have to “share” the places with as many people. However, pretty much everything will be open and in full swing in week 42, as this week is a school break.

Posted by
320 posts

I can’t comment on the weather in October, but I don’t think ten days in Copenhagen (including day trips) is too much. We did six days as part of a larger trip that included staying in Roskilde (which most people do as a day trip from Copenhagen) and felt like we have more to do next time. You can easily fill ten days, especially when you add in day trips outside the city.

Posted by
3110 posts

I went there in December of 2017, and loved it.
It was cold, but as a fellow Canadian, we already have all the clothes we need for any weather!
I spent 8 nights there and wished I had been there for longer.
There is much to see in the city, and I took day trips to Roskilde, and to Helsingor...both very worth while and so easy by train.
It is very expensive though....I remember paying for a bagel sandwich and coffee: $21. CAN!

Posted by
12172 posts

My previous visit to Copenhagen was six nights (Jul-Aug). I felt like there was plenty to see and do, and a few things I would have liked to have seen that I missed.

I expect it will be cold (and wet) by October. If you're dressed for it, it will be fine. Copenhagen, I've heard, is a convention town. Sometimes conventions can drive up lodging prices, off-season, when prices most other places drop. If that's the case, you could consider something a short train ride from Copenhagen as your base.