Please sign in to post.

Copenhagen in June

Hi all, A friend and I are headed to Copenhagen for a long weekend in June. What are your suggestions for our priorities? We both are well traveled in Europe. My friend is just back from a trip to Japan. We like history, art and understanding the place we are visiting.

Posted by
134 posts

Hi,

I would say depends on how much time you have and your more specific interests. You could go for Nationalmuseet (The National Museum), Statens Museum for Kunst (The National Gallery), Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Rosenborg Castle - or maybe explore a niche, like Cisternerne (The Cisterns) or Arbejdermuseet (The Workers Museum).

Remember to make time for a stroll around Indre By, visit Nyhavn and one of the old churches or towers - and go explore Christiania (beyond Pusher Street) if you find that society and sub-culture are just a tiny bit interesting.

Note that many museums are closed on Mondays.
This year, June 9th and 10th are public holidays, which means many stores will be closed. Museums, attractions and restaurants are not affected. June 23rd is Saint John's Eve, the Danish mid-summer celebration. Join if you're here on that evening, it's calm and cosy (and "hyggeligt").

Posted by
5678 posts

We'll arrive at mid-day on Saturday and are headed back early Wednesday AM.--so three and a half days.

Pam

Posted by
7639 posts

We did a nice canal cruise. You find the boats at Nyhaven.

Also, did a wonderful day tour outside of Copenhagen that visited the Viking Museum a couple of castles and a church. It was very nice.

You can find a nice walking tour of the city.

Posted by
1277 posts

Hi Pamela -

On our visit to Copenhagen we had four clear days so we walked and walked around the city, it’s easy to do and quite compact if you enjoy walking. We walked through Christiana but it didn’t especially grab us, but having said that I’m glad we went and saw it for ourselves. Nyhaven is excellent (if expensive, even by Copenhagen standards) and we walked to the Little Mermaid at the end of the afternoon after the hordes had returned in their coaches to their cruise liners and hotels. Almost had it to ourselves and at the time of year you are going daylight won’t be an issue.

One trip I would heartily recommend is to take the train out to Roskilde to the Viking Longboat Museum - from the station it’s about a mile or so through town to the actual museum, but easy to find. It is well worth the effort and price of admission. On our way back to the station we stopped at the Roskilde Cathedral (small entry fee) which is also worthy of a couple of hours exploration. It contains many tombs of Danish royalty.

You might not have time in a long weekend but we also took the train to Helsingor (Elsinore) to visit the castle. It was a rather gloomy day, so perfect really!

We stayed at the Wake Up Borgergade, reasonably priced and very central, although the rooms were verging on the capsule size, but, as we were only there to sleep and shower effectively, it was perfect.

Have a great trip!

Ian

Posted by
156 posts

Just returned from a 4+ day visit to Copenhagen. Broccolihaar is a great local resource (thanks for all the help you gave to me)!

Copenhagen is a wonderful city. We are not so much into the art museum side so I'm no help there but liking history and the place you are visiting, you will find abundant opportunities for those.

I think someone else recommended a Canal Boat Tour. We did this last. I think it would have been very helpful to have done it first if possible (but I'm glad we did it all!) It got to a lot of places that we didn't and was both educational and entertaining. We did the one hour that is part of the Copenhagen Card.

The National Museum of Denmark is excellent. Meet the Vikings was a highlight. There is a free guided tour (included with admission) called Meet the Danes that we didn't do but I'd consider if going back.

Both the Round Tower and Church of Our Savior provide the opportunity to get a view of the city from above. The view from the Church is more expansive but the Round Tower is easier to do.

There is so much to do in Copenhagen itself but taking the train to Helsignor (about 45 mins) and seeing Kronborg Castle was one of the highlights for us including the Elsinore Street Food Market. We also took the ferry across to the town of Helsingborg, Sweden while we were there.

Posted by
134 posts

Broccolihaar is a great local resource (thanks for all the help you gave to me)!

Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to see that you had an enjoyable stay in Denmark :-)

You make some good points in your post, that I'm sure will be valuable to other travellers.

Posted by
5678 posts

Thanks, everyone. We're really looking forward to this trip! It follows a full business trip so we'll be ready for something for us.

Any restaurant suggestions? :)

Pam

Posted by
1 posts

We are visiting June 5 which is a holiday.
We were wondering if any of the following will be effected as we have a very tight schedule and would want to re-plan in advance..

Rosenborg Castle
Christiansborg Palace
Canal Tour
Our Lady Church

Posted by
134 posts

Hi,

June 5 is the Danish Constitution Day (Grundlovsdag) but it's not a public holiday. Some people will have half the day off or the whole day off - while for others it’s just another Wednesday. So most things will be open, but I think it's a good idea that you double check the opening hours of the things you want to see and do.
This year we have parliamentary elections on June 5 - just something to keep in mind.

All the places you mention will be open. If you want a tour of the Parliament, I'm not 100% sure that will be offered on that day.

Posted by
156 posts

As far as restaurants go, here are some that we went to and enjoyed.

Aaman's Deli - for smorrebrod was outstanding. You should make reservations if you want to eat in. It's small and quite busy. We didn't and so bought takeaway which we ate on a nearby bench (which I don't necessarily recommend as it was windy but we really wanted to try their food.) There is also one in the airport.
Hija de Sanchez is in the meatpacking district. Also, not much seating inside but more outside. We found Mexican food to be very good in Copenhagen.
Ban Gaw is also in the meatpacking district. It's Thai. Plenty of seating.
Tivoli Food Hall (you do not need to go into Tivoli to eat here but you can enter/exit to it if you are.) Again we had Mexican (mu daughter is living in the UK and misses authentic Mexican food.)
Torvehallerne is a food hall and market that you should not miss even if you do not eat there (we had dessert). Lots of good options to choose from.
Boltens Food Court is new (opened in April) and was recommended by broccolihaar. We happened to chance upon it while we were wandering. Unfortunately it was too early in the day for it to be open but it looked worth a visit.

My one food regret is that I did not get to try a Danish hot dog. They looked amazing!

We did not go to any of the pricier restaurants (meals ran is about $15-25 per person at these locations). We enjoyed everything that we ate in Copenhagen.

Posted by
1320 posts

We did not go to any of the pricier restaurants (meals ran is about
$15-25 per person at these locations).

Remember when you look at menus outside restaurants, that service and tax are included in the prices. Don't add 20% by default.

Posted by
5678 posts

The place suggested in Rick’s book—Kanal Kaffeen—was packed, noisy, smokey with no tables, So, we asked the Host for any recommendations for alternatives, and he sent us to 1773. It was terrific. Not cheap, bright, cheerful, helpful staff and good food.

Posted by
5678 posts

Hi all, So it was a great little trip! We loved the restaurant that I mentioned above, 1733. We found that it seemed like just about everything was $20. Our hotel was not far from the railway station so we slipped over to Malmo one day which was fun--we did the canal tour and checked out the church and walked around the old town. We went to Fredericksburg Castle which was very interesting. The grounds are beautiful and the chapel amazing. We loved the canal tour in Copenhagen. We also enjoyed Nyhaven, Christiana, and the Palm House! We ended our trip with an evening at Tivoli Gardens. Neither of us do rides, but it was fun to see them and to explore the site. Of course, it was $20! :)

Thanks to everyone for posting and giving us so much to think about and consider.

Pam