Please sign in to post.

Copenhagen hotels

Hello all, can someone recommend a hotel with the following:
air conditioning, near metro for airport transportation, medium priced (around $200-$250, refundable) for two with breakfast?
thank you, Liz

Posted by
117 posts

I stayed at the Scandic Front in Nyhavn district. I found that signing up for free point system on their website gave me a discount on the room price. I liked the location on the water, 1 block from the Main Street of Nyhavn (which was packed with people) - so quieter, has A/C and breakfast. Some reviews said it was old and outdated but for me, I didn't have any issues and the age of the property didn't bother me. My room was clean, big, window facing the water, bus stop right outside (to go to train station, etc), and was not that far of a walk from the metro - with one carryon, wheeled suitcase and a daypack.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you Connie, I will look into that hotel. I didn't look at hotels in that area because I thought the neighborhood would be too busy end of July, but I will take a look.

Posted by
141 posts

We stayed at Villa Copenhagen last August. It was lovely! It is across the street from Copenhagen's central station so you can't beat it for proximity to the metro. It also had air conditioning which we actually needed since there was a bit of a heat wave happening when we visited. AC is not the norm though to find in hotels in Denmark (or other Scandinavian countries) as we found out. The breakfast buffet at Villa Copenhagen is out of this world! One of the best we've ever had on vacation. We booked with a special deal that included the breakfast but you can also purchase it if you don't book one of those packages. Prices will vary depending on the time of year, and the type of room, and may be a bit more then you are looking to spend but I highly recommend it if you are looking for a stay in Copenhagen. Great location.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you Jen. Yes, air conditioning is very difficult to find. I don't mind a fan and an open window, but so many times hotels don't have fans, or only have a few, so they were taken. Very frustrating as I have menopause symptoms. We chose Copenhagen to fly first as we got a terrific deal on SAS. I hopefully will get over jet lag and then move on to our 4 week holiday in Norway.

We already booked a room at the Clarion Airport Hotel, which has reviews mixed on their air conditioning, so I will add to my notes Villa Copenhagen so we can move if the Clarion isn't up to par.

So many reviews said that hotels state they have air conditioning on their web sites, but actually have mediocre cooling. Even expensive hotels.

Thanks all for your input. Liz

Posted by
2018 posts

We also stayed at the Scandic Front that the first poster mentioned. We were there in mid October, so a/c was not on our radar at all. Our room was a tad dated, but not bad at all. Just not as stark/modern as many of them are now. Breakfast was very good and we liked the location.

Posted by
4 posts

Hello... I'm so glad I found this post! We are disembarking from a 10-day cruise in Copenhagen mid-June and decided to stay a few days in the city to tour the area. I too have been struggling trying to find a good hotel choice for the two evenings. Our budget is modest, considering it's the tail end of the cruise, I'm also searching for something around $200 a night. We found two hotels, Wake Up Copenhagen Borgergade and Sct. Thomas Hotel, although I'm not sure of the location? Walking to transportation will not be an issue, or the way I don't want to be too far away. I did see a wonderful recommendation for Hotel Bethel... any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
27096 posts

I generally trust the reviews on booking.com, because you can't review a hotel there unless you've actually stayed at it.

Posted by
134 posts

Hi @sandyprice4,

As a local I've never stayed at either of those hotels, so I can only comment on the locations.

I'd say Wake Up Copenhagen Borgergade is more centrally located, just a few minutes walk from Kongens Nytorv, and the old historic pedestrianised part of the city centre. Also close to several public transport options, as well as many sights and attractions.

Sct. Thomas Hotel is located a little further out, though still also close to public transport and within walking distance to the old centre of the city (from the other side).

Personally, I'd pick the one on Borgergade - this would also be my general recommendation. But if you feel like you'll fall in love with the atmosphere on Vesterbro and Frederiksberg, and don't mind staying a little further from the oldest city centre, you could consider Sct. Thomas.

Posted by
158 posts

We stayed at Scandic Palace in July so AC was a must. Right next door to City Hall and 5 minute walk to Tivoli Gardens.

Posted by
320 posts

We stayed at Wake Up Copenhagen Borgergade last June. The location is great - we did a lot of walking, but also had stations nearby when we had longer trips (no transfers to get to and from the airport). The rooms are quite small, but for the price it was worth it. Breakfast was an additional charge, but again worth the cost. We booked breakfast when we booked the room.