Please sign in to post.

Copenhagen for jazz festival July 2021

I have been fortunate to be able to go to Copenhagen for the annual jazz festival. It is an incredible festival with performances all over the city in many venus indoors and out.
Of course the festival may be cancelled but as the website shows it appears the events are being scheduled.
https://www.carnifest.com/the-copenhagen-jazz-festival-2021/

I am tempted to book some refundable plane tickets and accommodations.
A deal breaker for me would be a quarantine period, I will have my second Moderna vaccine in a few weeks, I am 69.
Anyone else thinking about Denmark in July or Sweden since I spend time in each country when I visit.

Posted by
27112 posts

I am "thinking about it" in the sense that I planned to visit those countries, and others, last summer and hoped it would be possible this year. I'm not optimistic at this point and am not willing to spend even one minute making reservations, even if cancelable. But I have no inside information; I'm just looking at the progress of vaccinations in the US (actually not awful) and Europe (considerably slower except in the UK) and guessing about what that means for travel.

If you are an EU citizen or resident of the Schengen Zone, you have one less hurdle to clear than I do.

Posted by
7839 posts

Jazz festivals in Europe are the best..
I've been to ones in
Umbria (Winter and Summer editions),
Antibes-Juan Les Pins,
San Sebastian,
Vienne, France,
Bremen,
Utrecht
Amsterdam
Liege, Belgium.

You will find that all of the long lived festivals have not canceled anything yet on that carnifest.com for 2021, so I would refer to the actual official festival site for any festival e.g. https://jazz.dk/en/copenhagen-jazz-festival-2020/news/herbie-hancock-returns-to-copenhagen-jazz-festival-2021/ that is updated regularly as they try to book the talent several months in advance.

The Danish just canceled their winter version of international jazz festivals that was suppose to start in February.
https://jazz.dk/vinterjazz-2021/forside/

Posted by
6384 posts

At the moment, who knows if the festival will go ahead as planned? It is certainly possible, but far from guaranteed. If you find any good offers it might be worth booking flights and accommodation, but make sure to read the fine print and don't book anything nonrefundable.

Posted by
134 posts

There’s a lot of unknowns.

Nobody knows if the Copenhagen Jazz Festival will be able to be held. Nobody knows which travel restrictions will/won’t be in place in July 2021.

I can’t seem to find any information about Copenhagen Jazz Festival 2021 on the official website www.jazz.dk. Be sure to check up on that, if the Jazz Festival is a main motivator for this trip.

Currently, all travellers arriving to Denmark are encouraged to self isolate for 10 days. It’s not the law, and you can’t be punished if you break the isolation. Danes are very trusting and rule following, so most people would actually self isolate for 10 days even though it’s “just” an encouragement. However, a few people haven’t stopped all unnecessary travel activity, which have started political discussions about introducing mandatory isolation when entering the country. All of this could change, and my layman’s assessment of the situation is that this will change by July 2021.

Current projections predict that all Danes will be vaccinated by the end of June 2020 (all who want it, of course). That will depend on the delivery of the vaccines, and there’s a lot of news about delays these days.

When it’s something that you want to do, and something you have the budget for: Go for it!

As others have said, don’t book anything non-refundable. With current rules and restrictions, the event and travel activity we’re discussing here is 100% prohibited.

The situation will certainly be different in July, we just don’t know how different it’s going to be yet.