Please sign in to post.

Copenhagen

I looked in the forum but don't see any recent discussion on these questions so am asking.

In July 2022 I will be in Copenhagen for 3 days post-cruise. The cruise line's hotel is the Marriott but the cruise line's price is ridiculous. Any recommendations on hotels in the same area? And any recommendations for tours while in Copenhagen? (Cruise line isn't offering any tours there.)

Thanks,
Jamie

Posted by
1743 posts

I can't recommend a hotel, because I did Airbnb when I stayed in Copenhagen in 2012.

I can recommend a great bike tour, though, if biking is your thing. https://bikecopenhagenwithmike.dk/

I had two bike tours planned with Mike, but the second one sadly got rained out. I think the one I did is similar to what he now calls the City Tour. In any case, he is an excellent and fascinating tour guide, and biking is a great way to see Copenhagen.

Posted by
454 posts

I can recommend two tours. Nova Fairy Tales is a company that gives public small group walking tours and public small group bike tours, each tour limited to 10 participants, or you can schedule a private tour (walking or biking) for your group of up to 10 people. We were in Copenhagen with a group of 10 and took a private bike tour and it was great fun! Biking is huge in Copenhagen and it was so much fun to take to the streets on two wheels like locals! We had a fabulous guide and saw so much of Copenhagen.

We were planning to take an evening canal tour that same evening and asked our bike tour guide to recommend a company. We showed her the names of the ones in our guidebook. She said both of those companies use larger boats, take large groups out, and the tour information is pre-recorded and available by putting on headphones after selecting the language you need. She had a different recommendation to do a canal cruise with a small company called Hey Captain. Their boats are small so you're on board with no more than 12 other guests. It's a live tour in English, by your boat captain, with wine and beer served on the boat. Our captain was a delightful young man who sat crosslegged on his seat, facing us, as he told us about everything we were seeing, and about the daily life and culture of Copenhagen in general. It was a chilly evening and he had a supply of wool blankets on board to wrap ourselves in. This fun and social canal cruise was one of the highlights of a two week Scandinavia trip.

I don't have any hotel recommendations near the Marriott. We stayed at the Hotel Ibsen and liked it a lot. It looks like it's about 2.5 km from the Marriott.

Posted by
585 posts

Have you tried making a reservation at the Marriott directly or through Booking.com? It could well be cheaper if you want to stay there. Just don’t mention you are on the cruise! You would probably need to be responsible for arranging a taxi to take you to the hotel.

Posted by
14944 posts

I stayed at the Absalon Hotel which is about a 5 minute walk to the train station and a 10 minute walk to Tivoli Gardens. It's not far from the Marriott. There are more restaurants near the Absalon than the Marriott.

The hop on hop off bus in Copenhagen--there are competing companies--was pretty good. It stops outside the Marriott or is only a couple of blocks from the Absalon.

My stay was before the pandemic so I don't know if things have changed.

Posted by
1321 posts

I'll repeat what I have said in other threads: Look at https://goboat.dk/en to see if that is something for you. I enjoyed it a lot:-)

I can't recommend a hotel since I live just outside Copenhagen and it is much faster, simpler (and cheaper) to just taxi home.

Posted by
6335 posts

Scandic is a good hotel chain in Northern Europe if you are looking for a good hotel room at a decent price but don't need an abundance of luxury. And they have several hotels in Copenhagen. https://www.scandichotels.com

Posted by
7642 posts

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza twice on two of our visit to Copenhagen. The hotel is closer to the airport than the city center, but easily reached by train.

We took one tour of the city while in Copenhagen, a Free Walking Tour for a few hours and then did the city on our own, which worked out well. We also did a day tour of surrounding sites, including the Viking Museum and a couple of castles, don't remember the name of the company.

The city is easy to do on your own, buy a good guidebook. Also, we did a harbor cruise.

Posted by
2324 posts

I second the Bike with Mike tour suggestion - https://bikecopenhagenwithmike.dk/ - he was fantastic and definitely a highlight of my visit to Copenhagen. Thankfully the city is flat so it isn't too hard to keep up on the one speed bikes, and you definitely feel like a local! If you like Viking history, a day trip to Roskilde is a good use of time - easy train from CPH. Sorry no hotels to recommend as I stayed with a friend.

Posted by
973 posts

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza also- quiet and easy access to centre.
Frank, what is the surrounding neighbourhood like for Absalon? Asking for a light sleeper, even with a mask and earplugs and a sound app, street noise ( the trains?) interferes. thanks!

Posted by
1917 posts

I know what you mean about cruise line hotels. I was in Copenhagen in 2019 for a cruise sailing Norwegian. They used one of the Scandics and I could not believe NCL's price.

I stayed at Hotel 27 but it has been sold and is now h27. It is on a side street but very centrally located, close to much. I had trouble finding it but I am bad with maps and cell phones. The hotel had a great breakfast. I do not know if they still do.

I bought The Copenhagen Card but regret doing so. I was unable to use it enough to make it worth the money. I suggest the hop on hop off bus. I did not use it but wish that I had.

I liked Tivoli Gardens which was an easy walk from the hotel and there is also Glyptoteket. I did not expect to love Glyptoteket as much as I did and I wish that i could post pictures.

There are incredible museums and castles. You will not be able to get to all that you would like to so do your research and make your decisions.

Restaurants and food is very very expensive. Research well. I did not. You will see many buffets that appear to be reasonably priced except that you are required to buy a drink and that makes the buffet much less reasonable. Some of the buffets do not advertise that you are required to buy a drink. I think that I asked for water not realizing that I had to pay the price of an alcoholic beverage anyway.

I did not do any organized day tours. There is very good public transportation and they offer various passes which includes going to specific attractions like castles and museums..

Check out Viator or Trip Advisor.

Posted by
11131 posts

When we were looking at hotels to book in Copenhagen we were warned not to stay at the Marriott as it had been taken over by cruise ships. The lobby was filled with their tables fit sign ups, etc.
We stayed at a nice Radisson near Tivoli but did not like the location. Next time I would stay near Nyhaven. Friends liked The Admiral a lot.
Check for a/c as you can’t assume hotels will have it.
We have had good experiences in Scandic hotels in other Scandinavian cities and there are several in Copenhagen.