Please sign in to post.

2023 Fall Scandinavia Trip

We are beginning to research a trip to Denmark and Norway for next fall. I am a quarter Danish and my husband is a quarter Norwegian so it's long been a goal to visit. I think we'll have about 2 1/2 weeks. We love trains and ferries so incorporating those would be great. We may fly in or out of Amsterdam to see a friend if that affects anything. We like to wander, a museum or two, nice food sometimes, but overall pretty low key. Any tips for possible routes or places not to miss would be appreciated!

Posted by
11131 posts

We took a Hurtigruten coastal steamer up the coast of Norway, Bergen to Kirkenes. Locals got on and off at each port. It is the best way to travel in that area. Few Americans were on our trip, most were Norwegian or northern European . Excellent food, lots of different preparations of herring. We started the Norway portion of our trip in Oslo which we really enjoyed.
We only have been to Copenhagen in Denmark so can’t offer much more there.

Posted by
6335 posts

Do you want to visit the places where your ancestors lived, and if so, where are those places? And what month are you looking at? The autumn can be dark, grey and rainy, be prepared for that. Or aim for early autumn when it can be lovely colours and sunny days. Do you have any idea how you want to split the time? An even split is not a bad idea, but for budget reasons you might want to spend a bit more time in Denmark.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks for the suggestion, Suki. That sounds lovely.

Badger, I am not sure about my husband's family in Norway but my grandmother's parents were from Vaalse and Holtug, if I am reading this right. As for the split, we are open. We live in Seattle so gray doesn't bother us, but of course would love to see some sun and fall colors.

Posted by
6335 posts

I would not recommend trip north with Hurtigruten in the autumn. As you go north it will get dark very early and it will most likely be raining. Also, the weather can be rough if you encounter an autumn storm, and your trip might be something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hPfci-HFs It can be a great way to travel along the coast, but I would not go out of my way to book it.

Regarding Vålse and Holtug they are both close to Copenhagen so can be done as a day trip if you want to visit them. But there is a lot more to Denmark than Copenhagen. You should in my opinion add some other places as well, e.g. Odense. If it was my trip I'd start in Norway, then continue south to Denmark and Amsterdam. And I know you said Denmark and Norway, but I'd suggest a stop in Sweden along the way, mostly because Gothenburg is a charming city worth a stop if you are in the area.

Posted by
43 posts

That sounds like a good idea. Roskilde is also on my list to research. Thanks!

Posted by
1321 posts

Just a reminder that you can sail from Oslo to Copenhagen. https://www.dfds.com/en/passenger-ferries/offers

It leaves around 4pm and artives around 8am, so it replaces one hotel night

I think this shows where your two towns are :-) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/V%C3%A5lse,+4840/4660+Holtug/@55.1275102,11.7953707,10z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652cab17d56fe49:0xd7d310814a6ea6f1!2m2!1d11.777894!2d54.929136!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652e250d9c0e383:0xa00afcc1d51b4b0!2m2!1d12.405246!2d55.341539!3e0

If youbwant to plan travel on public transport use https://www.rejseplanen.dk/webapp/?language=en_EN

Posted by
43 posts

Thank you! Yes, I did see about that ferry and I think that would be really fun.

Posted by
138 posts

We travelled with our two teens to Denmark & Norway in August 2022. We started in Copenhagen then went to Svendborg where we stayed overnight so we could do a day trip to Aero (hotels were booked on Aero hence our stay on the 'mainland"), then a daytrip to Odense and an overnight in Billund to visit The Lego House & Legoland, then we drove up to Frederikshavn and took the overnight boat to Oslo.

Our favorites in Denmark were our hotel in Copenhagen (Villa Copenhagen), Rosklide, Tivoli Garden, taking a canal tour, the HC Anderson Museum in Odense, The Lego House and the overnight boat to Oslo. When visting both Denmark & Norway as others have said the overnight boat is a smart use of transportation and serves as your hotel for one night.

In Norway we started in Oslo then did the Songefjord in a Nutshell trip where we stayed a night in Balestrand in fjord country then ended our time in Bergen. Our favorites in Norway were our hotel in Oslo (The Grand), the Munch Museum, Oslo Street Food, City Hall in Oslo, The Norweigian Resistance Museum, The open air folk museum on an island off Oslo, and the whole nutshell experience seeing the fjord country..

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
7642 posts

Go in the Summer. Getting around parts of Norway's highways in the Fall may be difficult due to snow.

Also, Hurtigruten was more expensive when I compared it with main stream cruise lines. Also, the Hurtigruten ship doesn't give you a balcony. Further, the ship only stops for a few minutes at most ports. I think you can only do day excursions on about 3 or 4 ports.
Recommend doing research and compare cruises and prices.

Flying into Amsterdam is workable, but you will spend more time traveling, especially if you take the train from Amsterdam to Copenhagen.