Please sign in to post.

Denmark

My daughter willbe abroad in Denmark and I would like to pick her up and stay a week. Germany is in mine and some other areas such as amsterdam. Any suggestions on how to plan a trip like this. Where are the best places to go?

Posted by
104 posts

Hello Marianne,

A week is not a lot of time to work with to visit 3 different countries. However, here is one way you could organize your time...
Copenhagen is wonderful city and worth at least 2 days. Amsterdam is one night train away from Copenhagen (so you can save on train time and having to book a hotel-just advance book your couchette). Spend 2-3 days in Amsterdam, then night train to Berlin 2-3 days and night train back to Copenhagen. 7-8 days total.

Not everyone likes night trains, but for tight itineraries like yours I really like them because then you are not wasting daylight sitting on a train. This will be a fast itinerary, make no mistake! But you could get a taste of each place and see the major sites. I hope this helps!

Posted by
1068 posts

Hi Marianne! Sara is a professional and I am a amateur, but I'm jumping on to say that I have done the night train thing from Copenhagen to Germany and it's a really slick way to go. I highly recommend you try it if you want to hit those three countries in a week or 8 days.

But do get a couchette! It's more money, but it is WELL worth it. And of course you save the price of a hotel.

Posted by
95 posts

I was just getting ready to post a very similar question and ran across this.
My daughter also will be spending Spring 2015 semsester in Copenhagen and we hope to visit her there. I am in the VERY early stages of thinking about this.
I was thinking about stopping in either Berlin OR doing the Norway in a Nutshell tour for 2-3 nights and then 4 nights in Copenhagen. It seems a bit rushed, but 7 nights in Copenhagen seems a bit too slow.
I will be following this thread.
Also, I will post my own question.

Posted by
12172 posts

Copenhagen is great. You could spend a week seeing the sights in and around northern Zealand. If you choose this option, the Copenhagen card gets you bus, metro and rail all around northern Zealand, plus free or reduced admissions to most attractions.

If you travel somewhere else, you are better off taking a plane. Trains and rental cars are very expensive (and inconvenient) in Scandinavia.

Berlin is another place for an extended stay, there is so much to see and do. I think one week isn't enough for just Copenhagen and Berlin, let alone anything else.

A couple days in Amsterdam isn't bad, or a two day Norway in a nutshell trip - again taking a plane to get there and back to Copenhagen - and may be a decent compliment to seeing the Zealand sights.

Posted by
95 posts

Hello Marianne,
I was wondering if you have made any decisions on your trip. I would love to know what you decided and how it went. I have not made any progress in our plans as have been preoccupied with work etc.... When do you plan to travel?

Posted by
67 posts

We have not decided yet. Since my son is coming with us and has not been to Germany , we thought we might stay in copenhagen a few days and then hit germany.

Posted by
95 posts

Still have not had much time to think about our trip. Too busy trying to get daughter's trip settled.
But, I think I am leaning toward staying in copenhagen the entire week. Maybe rent a very small apartment or studio through airbnb.
We generally do not like to hop around every other night when we travel. And who knows when we will have an opportunity to visit the area again.
I think we will enjoy it more if we relax and explore denmark and maybe a day trip into Sweden.