Please sign in to post.

Tivoli gardens

Anyone know where to gets discount tickets? We are in town for 6 hours only and don't want to spend a bunch!

Posted by
12172 posts

The price as I recall was about $15, so not horrible. The bad thing is you pay for almost everything once you're inside (rides, meals, etc.).

We bought Copenhagen cards which covered all transportation plus admissions including Tivoli - good deal if you use it but min. 24 hour card may not be a good choice for you.

I can't recall what time Tivoli opened? We only went evenings.

If you only have six hours, I'd skip Tivoli and visit some of the museums right around there (Glyptotech, National Museet, and City Hall). If you have extra time walk the Stroget.

Alternatively, skip the downtown museums and focus on the Kongens Nytorv area. See the Rosenborg Palace and crown jewels, then take a boat tour from Nyhavn. With extra time you can walk the Stroget or visit Amalienborg Palace.

I think you will have to choose one or the other. I don't think you have time to get both in.

Posted by
649 posts

I agee
Tivoli is a big amusement park. There is a lot more to see in your 6 hours to appreciate Copenhagen. We were there for 8 hours from a cruise ship and walked to the Little Mermaid and then into town where we took a boat cruise of the surrounding area then went to the palaces. It was a complete day. You can do this walking but we did take a taxi back to the boat.

Posted by
6 posts

Tivoli is not open year round - so make sure its even open. I was their in October and it was open for three weeks because they do a Halloween theme for the kids. We went in on a Saturday night and just took in the crowd - and it was crowded. Again, its mostly geared for summer, but I assume they do a brief Christmas themed run also.

If I had six hours only, I'd do the RS walking tour and Netto canal cruise - you'll see Nyhavn and the Little Mermaid, and just look at Tivoli from the outside. Top at a hot dog vendor and have a Medister Plose too - it's awesome.

Posted by
117 posts

We were in Copenhagen last month and I agree with the previous posters, with only six hours, I would do the Rick Steve's walk down the Stroget, with a possible side trip to Christiansborg Palace to go to the top of the tower (it's free) for a nice overview of the central core. Then catch the Netto Boat harbor tour at Nyhavn. And after, if you're hungry, grab a polse at a polsevogne at Nyhavn. Or if you have the time, you can walk over to Restaurant Skindbuksen for their open face sandwich lunch special. Three sandwiches and a beer for 69 kroner, available till 1700 (5pm). The lunch is a decent value for Copenhagen (I think) and the place was filled with locals, a good indicator to us. Located along Kongens Nytorv at Lille Kongensgade 4 across the street from Magasin du Nord department store.

Happy Travels.