Please sign in to post.

Two night trip from Oberammergau - to where?

It seems that during our our visit we have one weekend when we are free to rent a car and drive somewhere (6.8.7). For example Luzern or Bolzano but I don´t know if they are too far away. We would like to enjoy beautiful scenery and find some idyllic village from where we can make short walks or hikes or rail trips. Eat some good food and enjoy nice atmosphere. Do you have any suggestions?

And could you please give us some good tips where we can find inexpensive car rent in Oberammergau or near that place?

Posted by
8094 posts

You might sign into Autoeurope.com and see what the options are for car rentals in Oberammergau. Familiar car rental companies are not always represented in smaller markets.
I.see no reason to go to Switzerland if you are looking for incredible mountain scenery. The Alps are just south of Oberammergau in the Tirol region of Austria. It is easier and cheaper to travel there. We love to get up on the mountains and ramble from village to village there.

Posted by
1394 posts

I assume you have yr passion play tickets and yr lodging figured out for that portion? Oberamergau really is a small village that is completely filled to the gills during the play..... if you arrive by yr own car you will be parking quite a way out and paying for the priveldge and have quite a hike in to the theater . I wonder if its possible to stay say 30 miles out and have a shuttle bus included as a part of the lodging. ???
You will have the chance ahead of time to make a meal reservation for the dinner break.... id recommend doing that.

I've lived in big cities, I thought I knew about crowds, but these thousands of people being funneled thru a small village presents an entirely different set of issues. In the decades between presentations those meticulous Germans have perfected things like the dinner break reservations.

Enjoy!!

Posted by
125 posts

We went through Gemut.com for our car rental. Of course, we aren't traveling until September (my first time overseas) but they seem to have some very good recommendations; plus I think we got a pretty good deal for our 10 day rental.
That being said, please report back and let us know where you decided to go. We are going to stay in Ehrwald, Austria for 2.5 weeks in September and I would love to hear about the sites you saw on your drive, where ever you go.
Have fun!!

Posted by
19052 posts

You have only two nights so why you are "thinking" about traveling to Bolzano or Luzern. Why spend all that time traveling. Do some research. There are worthy places right there nearby. And you don't need a car.

There are buses from Oberammergau to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in about 45 minutes, and from there the places you can go to are unlimited. You could go by bus along Walchensee to Kochel or on the Außerfernbahn to Pfronten. My choice would be to go by train 45 minutes to Seefeld. Austria (with maybe a stop in Mittenwald) and spend you two nights there.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you David, doric8, Libby and Lee for your useful information! Maybe you are right about travelling to Switzerland. I have long time planned to go there but maybe one weekend is too short time if driving time takes 4-5 hours.
Libby I´ll tell you where we decided to do and give recommendations when we are back :). Lee mentioned Seefeld and Mittenwald. I just checked some photos and both seems to be be beautiful places. And they give possibilities to do some nice nice walks. I have to check them better but very good options :)