Please sign in to post.

SOM tour

Is there time on the 9 day Alpine tour to do a Sound of Music tour? Thanks!

Posted by
19092 posts

I'm not sure what your "9 day Alpine tour" is. I do see a 10 day Germany, Austria, Switzerland tour, but I don't think it has enough extra time in Salzburg for a SOM tour.

But that doesn't matter. I would never take any of the Sound of Music tours. And I am a huge fan of the movie. I have watched it so many times, figuring out where all the scenes were filmed. For that I have depended a lot on the commentary by director/producer Robert Wise.

What I have discovered is that only about half of the movie was actually filmed in Salzburg. The rest was in sound stages in Hollywood. Of the scenes in Salzburg, most can be seen by just walking around in town. A great many of the venues the tours show you and claim to have been in the movie, were not. Leopoldskron never appeared in the movie. The patio set was a temporary set on the same lake. The small gezebo they show you was only shown in a few minutes of distance shots. The bigger gezebo for the singing and dancing scenes was in a sound stage in Hollywood.

Posted by
1429 posts

If you are referring to the 8 day Munich Salzburg and Vienna tour then I would say probably not. I believe it's an all day tour and looks like you will only have an afternoon free. You could arrive a day or two early and do it in a long day from Munich, but you would have to leave Munich quite early in the morning, and I would book the tour in advance.

I disagree with Lee. It's my favorite movie. We've been to Salzburg 4 times. Only did this tour on our first visit. We had a great time on the tour and I felt it was totally worth our time and money!

Edit: I just checked and panorama tours has a 4 hour tour that starts at 2, so it depends on what time you would need to be back for the dinner concert which is also wonderful. We didn't use panorama tours - it looks like they run a big bus tours. We took a small van tour several years ago and I don't remember who the operator was:(

Posted by
5835 posts

You should contact the RS office for a more knowledgeable response as to the day's schedule. If it is the https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/germany-austria-switzerland/munich-salzburg-vienna tour your Day 4 choice would be "the rest of your afternoon is free for wandering through Salzburg's magnificent gardens, hiking up the fortress hill for a panoramic view..." vs. a SOM tour. We enjoyed the Panorama tour during the winter (small minibus) but also enjoyed the fortress.