Please sign in to post.

How Will German Lutherans Celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Sack of Rome?

It was this May and June of 1527 that Lutheran mercenaries called landsknechts attacked and pillaged Rome and took Pope Clement VII hostage. The 500th anniversary is just three years away.

Traditionally, historians counted this sacrilege as the end of the Renaissance and the slide toward the Reformation.

Many of the German soldiers were Protestants who eagerly looked forward to attacking papal Rome as a religious calling and to pillaging the famed wealth of the popes. They did a pretty thorough job of it.

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/renaissance-reformation/high-ren-florence-rome/beginners-guide-high-ren/a/the-sack-of-rome-in-1527

Under the banner of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, many diaries and chronicles attest to the violence and looting that took place during the sack. The soldiers pillaged churches and palaces, tortured merchants to discover where they kept their fortunes, ransomed cardinals and prelates for thousands of ducats, and murdered men and women indiscriminately.

Contemporaries described how the relics of Saints Peter and Paul were trampled underfoot, the Sudarium of Christ was sold in taverns, and a priest was killed for not administering the sacraments to a mule dressed in ecclesiastical vestments. One group even elected Luther as pope and carried one of their own in his stead, dressed as the pope in ritual derision of the papacy.

Scholars estimate that at least ten percent of Rome’s population died in the sack and occupation of the city by the Imperial forces. Many other businesses and traders fled. It would take thirty years for Rome to reach its pre-Sack population.

https://www.sabaton.net/historical-facts/the-sack-of-rome/

"Monks and priests were brutally killed, and nuns were raped on sacred altars. People were cut, beaten and branded, their teeth and nails pulled out for the information about their valuables. Sources speak of molten lead being poured down throats and severed testicles in the streets. Tombs were looted and holy relics were carried away, often by famous artists and noblemen, who now served as porters for the soldiers."

Just as planning for the Olympics has to happen years ahead, I imagine that the descendants of the HRE will be making commemorative events and exhibitions, no? What should we look forward to?

Posted by
7566 posts

Reform came with violence. Does the existence now of a secular EU mean that everybody’ll get along, without molten lead beverages, raping on alters, and removal/severing of body parts?

a priest was killed for not administering the sacraments to a mule dressed in ecclesiastical vestments

I can see a mule possibly nibbling on a sacramental wafer, but sipping wine? I doubt it, and killing anyone (even to make a point) was criminal.

As for commemorating the nastiness of the religious occurrences, I suspect more people are focusing on upcoming Taylor Swift concerts. How much mayhem and damage does she leave in her wake?

Posted by
7566 posts

Now, as for Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and also King of verrrry Catholic Spain. Talk about wearing two (opposing) crowns!

Wikipedia says:

Crowned King in Germany, Charles sided with Pope Leo X and declared Martin Luther an outlaw at the Diet of Worms (1521)

But as German King, that was contradictory, no?

Posted by
7566 posts

severed testicles in the streets

Forgive me, but is that where the “Sack of Rome” comes from? I’ll show myself out ,,,

Posted by
2528 posts

As my junior high social studies teacher would say, Cyn,

you've got a point there --

wear a hat an nobody will notice.

Posted by
19148 posts

Only to be matched less than a hundred years later by the 30 years war.

Posted by
2528 posts

Yes indeed, Lee -- one of Rick Steves' most remarkable accomplishments these many years now that he has been guiding and teaching about European travel is that he has managed to turn the European frown upside down.

Most people that take a long and/or deep look at the old country and the old times, when they did the things that they did then instead of the things that we do now, are justifiably horrified and they rejoice that those days are mostly gone. But Rick manages to find and share the silver lining around that cloud.

Posted by
3879 posts

How Will German Lutherans Celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Sack
of Rome?

I suspect with indifference.

Posted by
4230 posts

Well I'll drop by the nearest souvenir stand and buy the bobblehead, maybe the one with Charles holding Clement's severed testicles.

Posted by
2528 posts

It's curious that I have two topics on the forum this week and the one I meant to be funny is being taken seriously and the one I meant seriously is being used for jokes. Live and learn :-)

Posted by
236 posts

If Lutherans aren't supposed to be evil and such, then how'se come their leader, Lex Luthor, is always trying to kill Superman, huh? I didn't see nothing about that when I was in Germany.

Posted by
3194 posts

Avirosemail:

I just wanted to say that I always enjoy your history-related posts.
Thank you!

Posted by
4230 posts

It's curious that I have two topics on the forum this week and the one
I meant to be funny is being taken seriously and the one I meant
seriously is being used for jokes. Live and learn :-)

This is the serious one?!?. I don't know, your bratwurst post is a passionate topic, I for one take my weiner seriously.