Please sign in to post.

England, Scotland, Ireland

Looking for reliable tour companies to help with hotels, transportation and site seeing in England, Ireland and Scotland. 6 adults end of September for approximately 14 days

Posted by
70 posts

Thank you. I think we need more help with hotels, transportation and planning

Posted by
16319 posts

Are you sure you want a tour company, not just a travel agent? A tour company will provide the hotels, transportation, and activities for you, at a price. A travel agent will plan an itinerary and book the hotels for you. Maybe the transfers and train travel as well. But you won’t have a guide.

Posted by
1825 posts

14 days will not do justice to these countries and will be very tiring. Remember you will have travel days between locations, and you cannot really count your arrival and departure days. If you look at Rick's tours on this website, the short "heart of" tours are usually 7 or 8 days. I think you really need a travel agent. However, someone who knows the country and is willing to help plan, not just select flights and hotels for you is difficult these days. To get a feel for what all 6 of you want to see I suggest you check out tour guides from the library &/or buy Rick's Great Britain guidebook which will include both England and Scotland. Have any of you traveled in these countries before? To get an idea about travel time and places to visit I'd look at the England, Scotland and Ireland tours on the Our Tours tab. You might even find a tour that meets the needs of the group. I travel solo, but usually embed one of Rick's tours in my itinerary as I stay 3 or 4 weeks. I've taken 10 tours and loved each and every one. Besides seeing great sites, you have a professional who guides you along the way and takes the headaches out of finding hotels and transportation. The hotels can be quirky, but in all my tours I've only found 1 that wasn't satisfactory & fortunately it was a 1 night stay. The buses are new and since the tour group size is about 1/2 the number of seats on the bus you have plenty of room. Often, the bus drivers becomes as much a part of the tour as the tour director does. I have recommended Rick's Best of England tour in 14 days to several friends and family as their introduction to 'across the pond,' They usually thank me when they return and immediately schedule their next tour.

Posted by
70 posts

Thank you. We would like to keep just the 6 of us on a tour. No bigger

Posted by
1825 posts

Sorry, I love to research my trips and used to travel for work. I have never found a travel agent willing to work with me on travel planning as well as book flights & hotels. I know they must be out there, but I haven't been lucky enough to find one.

Posted by
5821 posts

If you look at the Rabbies website you can book a private tour with them- which can be totally bespoked. They have a range of size of vehicles so it need not be 6 people in a 16 seat van.

Posted by
4333 posts

I will be interested to hear your plans-if the 14 days do not count flights from the US, you have less than 5 days per country and a significant amount of that time will be spent traveling between locations. You should consider limiting your trip to two of the three countries. I assume you're going to fly into one country and out of a different one?

We are also fans of Rabbies-we have taken their one-day tour of the Highlands from Glasgow and their Heart of England and Wales tour. Their guides are excellent. You might get them to design a variation of their 8-day "London to Edinburgh" tour, with more time in Scotland.

Except for booking cruises, travel agents are not much of a thing anymore. I think most of the people on this forum either plan their own trips(with help from forum members) or take group tours.

Posted by
2715 posts

Take a look at McKinlay Kidd. They offer guided tours and self guided tours by train and/or rental car. They have lots of different itineraries and they book all the transportation (once you get there) and accommodations (generally B&Bs and small hotels). They also book full and half day guided tours, though not every day. They are willing to customize their tours. Last year we took their complete Orkney and Shetland Tour and loved it. Next month we are doing one of their Channel Island tours combined with one of their Cornwall and Devon tours with a few tweaks. I have found them to be very easy to work with.