Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Istanbul

We will be in Istanbul for four days and would like to take a day trip to Bursa and the surrounding area or another smaller city (e.g., Edirne). We would like to go with a tour company that can provide transportation and some guiding. We would prefer a group tour to reduce cost but are open to a private tour at a reasonable price. Does anyone have suggestions or recommended tour companies? Thank you.

Posted by
7517 posts

I don't know of any tour companies, but I'm curious why you want to take a day trip from Istanbul. There is so much to see and do in that magnificent city that I would begrudge any moment spent away from it. I was there for 7-8 days and could easily have spent more. Is it just that you might want a break from a big city?

Regardless, you might want to edit your title (Day Trips from Istanbul) to something like (Looking for Day Tours from Istanbul). This might get more responses relevant to your question. :) You will love Istanbul, btw. It really is wonderful!

Posted by
27604 posts

I agree with Mardee. Bursa is an interesting place, and the silk market is to die for if you're a shopper who likes scarves (or other articles made from that or other premium fabrics). However, I spent 20 nights in Istanbul (and about a week in Bursa), so I had time to venture out of the big city without skipping any of my high-priority sights there.

Istanbul is huge and even four days is just a start of a visit there. To take one of those days and head to a place over 90 miles away is not something I would do. In addition to the travel time you'll find on the internet, you will need to allow for the time necessary to get from your Istanbul hotel to the the bus-tour pick-up point.

I did a quick Google and found a lot of links to tours, but the ratings were often quite low. There seems to be a substantial risk a tour to Bursa will be primarily a shopping expedition.