Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Belfast from Dublin

Has anyone taken the train for a day trip to Belfast from Dublin?
I’d like to see the Titanic museum .
However, the majority of my plans are westbound from Dublin.
Just reasoning- that it could be a great start to the rest of my trip.

Posted by
8664 posts

Yes. So easy. Have also taken the bus from Belfast back to Dublin.

Go. Titanic Museum is very well done and I let you in on a little secret the large Green, yellow, grey stripped building behind the museum was the studio for Game of Thrones.

Don’t miss lunch at Mournes Seafood.

Posted by
37 posts

We took the train from Dublin to Belfast and spent two nights. You could easily go for the day, to the Titanic Museum, have dinner and return by train to Dublin. And go to the Duke of York pub.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you Claudia and JA!

Your enthusiasm has me excited.
Which train did you take?
And I’m assuming I’ll take a taxi from station to museum-?
The restaurant suggestions are a delight- thank you!

Posted by
354 posts

I spent 2 days in Belfast as part of our Antrim Coast Trip last year. I went on to Dublin from Belfast by train and it takes just over 2 hours, so taking a train to Belfast with a return can be done quite easily. Connaly Station in Dublin is where you will start and the train will roll right into Belfast Central Station (now called Lanyon). I do not think you will need to grab a cab to get to the titanic museum unless you have mobility issues.

I would recommend heading to St George’s Market upon arrival, which is a nifty indoor market that we enjoyed. It is just a block or two from Lanyon Station. Then, I believe another mile or so walk along the river to Titanic Belfast-which was enjoyable and worth a day trip from Dublin.

Other pubs or restaurants I would recommend:

Mourne Seafood Bar, a place I read about on this forum which I wholeheartedly second the previous posters recommendation.
The Crown Liqour Saloon-one of the oldest pubs in Belfast, with a lot of interesting features.

Posted by
8374 posts

Take a cab from the station.... True, it isn’t far, but i’d take the inexpensive cab to the Titanic Experience right away and then walk back toward the center of town along the river pathway.

Posted by
11 posts

Everything noted and much appreciated!
Looking forward to my first original Irish Coffee.