Please sign in to post.

day trip from rome to assisi

Can anyone recommend a bus trip to Assisi for one day?

Posted by
2487 posts

I've searched for some tour companies, and the trips I found combine it with Orvieto and have a tendency to come at hefty prices.
There are direct »regionale« trains which bring you from Termini station to Assisi in some two hours. At the Assisi railway station you'll find a bus or a taxi to get you to Assisi proper. The Trenitalia website gives you the schedules: www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en (write »Roma« for your departure station). And this www.umbriamobilita.it/it/orari/servizi-urbano leads you to the schedule for the bus from the railway station. Select »Assisi«. You need line C.

Posted by
66 posts

Gob,
We did a "bus trip" to Assisi about 8 years ago - - prior to being assimilated by the philosophies of Rick.

It was an extremely looong day. Left Roma early am, stopped for maybe 1 1/2 - 2 hours at Orvieto. Back on the bus to a dish / pottery factory. Stopped for another hour or so. Back on the bus to Assisi. Had an mediocre lunch in town. Had a guided tour of the basilica and were on our own for a couple of hours. Back on the bus to Roma. Very LONG day. Don;t believe we'd do it again.

In contrast, in spring of 2015 we got our train tickets, hopped on a direct train to Assisi, took the bus up into town, stayed the night and reversed the process the next day. Great time because it was our time.

Having said that, you could do the trip to Assisi in one day by train, visit for a half a day, and return to Roma. You'd probably enjoy it more on your own.
Enjoy Assisi,
Gene

Posted by
513 posts

There is really no need to take a train to visit Assisi. There are direct (no changes) trains from Rome Termini to Assisi - about two hours. The city is pretty easy to navigate with a basic map. Most of the main site ( Saints Francis or Clare related) are in a central area and easy to find without a guide. I went there from Rome a couple of years ago, arriving in the late morning and departing about 4:00PM. I consider it one of the best day trips I have ever taken. While there I had lunch at a great restaurant that overlooked the Basilica of St. Francis.