Please sign in to post.

What to wear October 2016 Prague, Vienna, Budapest?

My husband and I will be in Prague, Vienna and Budapest from Sept 29 - Oct 11/16 and while we have the usual layers of t-shirt, light sweater merino wool, windproof light jacket and light rain proof jacket and umbrella, we are wondering if we need to bring warmer clothes, heavier sweater, boots, gloves, hat. And do we need a heavier rain jacket? Do we need more waterproof sneakers or can we get away with the usual fall shoes we would wear in Vancouver BC, Canada Pacific Northwest? I was planning on wearing skirts but it sounds like I should stick to jeans or long pants? Any advice appreciated. Thanks, S

Posted by
2622 posts

Well, you can always count on the weather to surprise you, so who knows?? But we traveled those cities from September into October. We ended in Prague in mid-October. We had started down south in Croatia in September and I was in capris and tank tops. By the time we got to Prague 3 weeks later, I was in my jeans, long sleeve shirt, and had pulled out my REI polar fleece. I was fine with that. I never bring rain gear so I can't weigh in on that. I don't even use it here in Tacoma...I just get wet:) I bring no rain shoes, I just bring two pairs of shoes in case one gets wet.

It's actually a nice time to travel there. We had no rain. It was clear....cool in Prague in the mornings, like in the 40s but it warmed up to the 60s during the day.

Posted by
2637 posts

I would agree with Valerie. the weather in central Europe at that time of year is usually fairly mild and rain can be quite likely. worth considering a lightwieght waterproof and a fleece top is always a good suggestion. layers are better than a heavy duty coat as early mornings and later evenings can be pretty cool but daytime temps reasonable with no need for coats.

Posted by
17853 posts

We are in Budapest most every Octobet and what you described works well. Personally, because I try and travel a little lighter i would replace the wool with a medium weight set of thermals. For your husband, if planning on any nice restaurants outside of the tourist zone or the theater a sports coat is appropriate. As for the umbrella? If you find you need one they can be had for 10 euro.

Posted by
178 posts

We were there at the same time last year. We only took jeans (darker denim) and a lightweight wool sweater and a rainproof jacket which also kept away the wind. Both DH and I have thermal underwear tops (from Costco)which work great as an extra layer. We took a t-shirt and a shirt with long sleeves. We have microfibre travelling clothes that we rinse in the sink and dry overnight and also microfibre underwear and only wool socks. We don't use umbrellas and as for shoes,we have good quality walking shoes which we spray with waterproof. Layers are the way to go. The sun sets around 7 and it cools down quickly.We only travel with one smallish carry on and buy anything we need in the way of toiletries when we get there.Really no need for a skirt. For travelling on the plane,I wear comfy pants similar to Lululemon (but not from them,poor quality and overpriced) that I also bought at Costco.Add a nice scarf on top and they are also presentable enough to go anywhere. I figure no one looks at what kind of pants you have on anyways.

Posted by
17853 posts

Mid October Sunset is about 6pm. Dark by 6:45 more or less. The lights are beautiful so early sunset is a good thing.

Average temps are 45F to 60F, but prepare for 5F under and 10F over the averages.

Spent the day looking. Its about 80F. Mainstrem locals over 25 or 30 pretty well dressed with only a few men in jeans, mostly nicer khakis, pollo and oxford shirts. Younger people in everything imaginable.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for all the suggestions. We will stick to jeans and casual lulu tights, layers, lighter wool sweaters and T-shirts and I have a pair of Keens and black flats that will do. We also are going carry on and travelling to Italy and London as well, and have decided to take a light windproof jacket and a very light (roll up in the pocket type) rain proof jacket. Tx, S

Posted by
6 posts

We are back from our trip to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Italy and London and here is what we wore and how it turned out. Prague in October was sun 26* C for a few days and rained hard one day (umbrellas needed). Vienna was windy, rainy and cooler (umbrellas needed but turned inside out with the wind), Budapest (colder 3-7 C) sun and wind. Italy (south) 23C average - sun and rain, and London 9C, sun and rain, windy. Our clothing choices - (female - black capri jeans, black nike tights, variety of long and short sleeve casual and dressy t-shirts and a couple of silk blouses, cashmere button up cardigan, short down puffy jacket (for colder days) very thin very light north face gortex hooded rain jacket (for all rainy days over my jackets), very light off white windproof hooded jacket (for warmer dry days and to dress up for dinner). Scarf for dinners, theatre (everyone seems to wear casual wear to Vienna and London theatre, opera, mid range restaurants). KEEN mary jane walking shoes and black gortex "Geox" walking shoes, black 8 inch high suede very light waterproof ECCO boots, flat. (TIP: do NOT wear thin or high heels). Small light pocket purse umbrella a must!!
Husband - dark demin "7 for all mankind" stretchy jeans, lighter weight nylon black travel pants, merino hooded lightweight sweater, 5 short and long sleeve thin merino t-shirts different colours, one long sleeve dry fit shirt with a collar for dinners and theatre, light windproof jacket, light gortex rain jacket, Gortex walking shoes that won't slip on Prague cobble stones (exceedingly slippery in rain), shorts to double as bathing suit for turk baths in Budapest. Husband also had a waterproof cross body messenger type day pack (allowed in museums) which was great for rainy days and security. We found we had the right stuff for a carry on for 3 weeks for October however some days we wore all layers, LS shirts, hooded wool sweater, down jacket, rain jacket, gloves, and I had to buy a thin cashmere wool toque for the wind in Vienna and cold in Budapest, London. We both had wool gloves. Everything was worn many times alone or in combination and gloves, hat, umbrella needed! Hope it helps someone!