Please sign in to post.

Walking tours /river cruises in Prague first week of September, 2022?

I could use some Prague walking tour/river cruise suggestions.

My husband and I are going to be in Prague Sept. 5 - 9 (Mon - Friday), leaving by train early on Sat., Sept. 10th. My husband is attending a conference.

I'll have the better part of 2 1/2 days to explore Prague on my own (Tues - Thurs AM). That Friday afternoon & evening, I'm looking to plan a general walking tour for both of us plus his cousin & her friend who will join us that day. So I;m looking for ideas for myself and for the group.

We went to Prague before (same conference) in 2015 but we don't mind relearning what we did then. We love history, sociology, architecture, getting to know the culture, etc. Typical Rick Steves' stuff. I appreciate guides who really know their subjects. I'm mentioning cruises because I remember seeing somewhere a combo of walking tour and river cruise (I think?). I thought that might be good for the Friday group experience.

Can anyone recommend good walking tours and/or river cruises that might work?

We used PragueWalkers in 2015 for walking tours. They were good & had good reviews but they seem to have gotten really expensive. I saw that Living Prague Tours (Jason) got mentions on this forum but it looks like he's booked up most of that that week.

There are so many possibilities, I'd appreciate companies people have used and liked. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posted by
3961 posts

As far as river cruises we walked to the river and purchased a ticket for a delightful one hour cruise. They have a longer cruise as well. It was affordable and well worth seeing Prague from a water perspective. I believe the company was Kotva. It was about €14.

We took a walking tour with Jason. When we looked on line (2019) he had “no availability” on the day we had open. That said, I sent him an email & he opened up his schedule for us! It ended up another couple joined us. You might consider emailing him. His tour was a memorable highlight of Prague.

We also hired Yvonne Weisgrab for a Jewish Walking Tour as well as her colleague Pavel Batel for a tour of Terezin. Both life altering experiences. I can include a link to their info if interested. We hire guides when traveling and have never regretted it.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you for your feedback, Janis. I will email Jason just to see if he has openings on those red days after all. And yes, please send me the links you mentioned about guides.

I agree with you about getting good guides. My undergraduate work was preparation to become a park interpreter (park ranger). One of the images we used to always share that I liked is (paraphrased) that going to a new place without a guide to help you appreciate what you see can be like going to an art museum with the paintings turned to face the wall.

So I appreciate wise guides wherever I go. : )

Thanks again.
Elaine

Posted by
3961 posts

Elaine- Yvonne Weisgrab, https://judaicainthespotlight.com/meet-the-tour-guide-yvonne-weisgrab/ Her knowledge & passion was incredible.

Pavel Batel- terezin-private-tours@hotmail.com
or www.terezin-private-tours.com
Mgr. Petra Černá 00 420 608 931 093
Our tour with Pavel included with 3 others. If you chose to take the tour be sure and request him specifically. Plenty of recommendations on this forum. He picked us up at our hotel! The best tour guide we’ve ever hired. Wonderful historian and story teller.

I so agree with your comments about guides! We have been very fortunate over the years.
Enjoy you your stay!

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you, Janis. : ) Good to have those names.

Elaine

Posted by
20 posts

P.S. I did email Jason and he's offered to make space for me on a day he's not otherwise available. Sounds like a really nice guy. Thanks for the connection!

Posted by
3961 posts

Elaine- I am so happy to hear that you were able to reach Jason & that he added you to his schedule. He is truly a class act. He is a wonderful resource as well. I hope you will report back after your journey.

Posted by
2636 posts

eyesta, Jason is a really great guy, I have known him for over 15 years long before he became a full time guide,whenever we met up he would always find places ,streets,courtyards .buildings and especially bars that I had never been to or known aboutr before.Will be meeting him again in 2 weeks time for lunch. You will not get a better tour guide in the city.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you, Uncle Gus. I really appreciate your feedback from so many years of friendship with Jason. It sounds like he walks on water.

And hey, is your lunch with Jason on Tuesday, Sept. 6th? He invited me to join him "and friends" for lunch that day since his availability is limited that week. Wouldn't it be a small world if you were part of that lunch?!

Posted by
2636 posts

yes, so you will meet up with me, my brother and my good friend Andy, looking forward to seeing you.