Please sign in to post.

Using a curling iron in Prague

I am about to leave for Europe and want to take my curling iron. Everything I'm seeing is saying it'll most likely get fried over there. If I buy a dual voltage (universal voltage) curling iron can I plug it straight into an adapter or do I also need a converter? Also, I have an IPhone and want to know if my charger will charge with just the adapter or if I need a converter for that?

Posted by
123 posts

All expensive electronics these days are made with built-in dual voltage, so any Apple products would just need the adapter and not the converter. As for the curling iron, definitely buy a travel-friendly version - usually available at Target, Brookstone or even your local Walgreen's or other drug store - and then you don't need the converter. There just might be a switch you need to change over from the lower voltage to higher.

Posted by
5078 posts

Check and see if there's a switch (or a little screw) on your curling iron that can be chaged from 110 volts (N. America) to 220 (European) volts. You may be able to get away with your current iron and an adapter plug. If not, then get a converter plus an adapter for your current iron, or as Rosie mentioned, get a new, travel-friendly iron plus an adapter. Happy travels!

Posted by
18021 posts

Unless an appliance (ie, curling iron) is double insulated (symbol of a square in a square on the specification plaque), it probably is not suitable for European use. If it has a plug with one blade wider that the other, it is for an American polarized receptacle. European receptacles are not polarized, so safety considerations demanded by UL will not necessarily work. You should leave your curling iron at home and buy one over there.

On the other hand, computer and cell phone chargers are normally made for universal international application and are probably properly designed. Look for the CE symbol.