Please sign in to post.

Unclegus trips to Prague 2018

I have a few trips to Prague lined up this year.
10-17th April. going solo at the moment but that may change.main aims are some walking on trails I have not been on before.a couple of football matches ,my beloved Dukla Prague are at home the weekend I am there and I hope to see Olympia Prague and Slavia Prague depending on the times of the games. want to visit some of the flea markets and antique shops a i am looking for some older Beer related stuff for my man cave.Also meeting up with a few friends and consuming large amounts of beer and eating lots of traditional Czech food.
6th-17th August, going with a couple of friends from my walking group, most of the time will be spent walking including a few trips further afield. visits to Plzen to see the sights apart from the brewery (but will go there for a few beers) a trip to the Budvar Brewery in Cesky Budevovice as one of my friends has never been there, a few football matches but will have to wait to see what is on when we are there.lots of time spent in the various beer gardens of the city especially after we have been out walking for the day and of course meeting up with old friends.
1st-8th October, going with my BIL as my sister and their daughter are going on a mother and daughter holiday with their swimming group. My BIL has never been to Prague so going to show him the Prague I know and love and let him indulge in his Photography hobby .A few football games may be on the card too as well as meeting up with my Prague friends.
So a few trips arranged and if anyone is around in the city at these times and want to meet for a drink or a meal or even join us on a walk just contact me and I can try and fit things in.

Posted by
2738 posts

Hey, "Unc", we will be arriving in Prague on Oct 5 or 6, we fly home from there on Oct 9. We would be happy to catch up with you at some point.

Posted by
2638 posts

That would be great, we can get in contact nearer the time, where are you going to be staying?

Posted by
2738 posts

Not sure yet, we had a nice experience at Hotel Hastal several years back and will likely check with them first. Have to put the rest of our trip dates in order to first set arrival date, starting in Munich (stupidly booked flight, at least at a great price, to land there Sept 25 forgetting that this is Octberfest!), then Nurnberg, Dresden, and on to Praha. I have a note to PM you during the summer.

Posted by
2638 posts

the Hotel hastal gets a good name and there are loads of places to eat and drink in that area. My new favourite place is nearby.
http://www.pivolod.cz/
about 5 minutes walk from the Hastal and on the river,great food and fantastic beer.
Done the Munich Octoberfest a few times but not for about 30 years, used to go out with a German girl from Kontanz and we often went to stay with friends in Munich during the beer festival.

Posted by
2738 posts

Our favorite meal from that 2010 trip was, after a recommendation we saw here, at Pivovarsky klub on Krizikova. We also greatly enjoyed the walk back from there. We will check out your recommendation. Seemed hard to have a bad restaurant experience by just following your nose and eyes to small places that are not touting to the tourists. But isn't that true for most or Europe?

Posted by
2638 posts

Very true Larry,BTW last time I was in Pivovarsky Klub I got very drunk drinking Lucky B*stard IPA.

Posted by
35 posts

Will be there in May. Sorry to miss you. Would definitely buy you a beer for all of the invaluable help and information that you have provided.

Posted by
2638 posts

that's a shame RMH but if I can be of any help for your trip just ask.

Posted by
124 posts

And we will be there in September, unfortunately missing you as well. Definitely will raise a pint in your honor. Thanks for all of the advice on these pages.

DD

Posted by
3223 posts

@unclegus, we won’t be in Prague, but if you will be in Edinbugh the latter part of July, then we would love to meet up in a pub to buy you a pint!

Posted by
2638 posts

I will be in Edinburgh,we can make arrangments to meet up some time.

Posted by
3223 posts

@unclegus—awesome, really, I look forward to it. I will send you a pm with my dates, and you can let me know good meet-up locations!

Posted by
170 posts

Hey Unclegus,

I plan on bringing my hiking boots. Curious to know what your favorite walking places are?

Sounds like you have some nice trips lined up!

Posted by
2638 posts

https://en.mapy.cz/turisticka?planovani-trasy&x=14.3187636&y=50.0975619&z=15&source=firm&id=12724798&rc=9gm5fxXzMadWx5aNhythYsgaweTmhTqgxO5GPfPb35eesGLrecC&rs=stre&rs=coor&rs=coor&rs=stre&rs=base&rs=stre&rs=coor&rs=pubt&ri=120345&ri=&ri=&ri=139874&ri=1712758&ri=139874&ri=&ri=15306849&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&mrp=%7B%22c%22%3A132%7D&rt=&rt=&rt=&rt=&rt=&rt=&rt=&rt=
this is an area close to Prague airport last stop on the 20 and 26 tram line Divoka Sarka, easy walking and paths are pretty well marked nice for a morning or afternoon walk.
https://en.mapy.cz/turisticka?x=14.1910880&y=49.9441467&z=14&l=0&source=muni&id=3601&q=Karl%C5%A1tejn
you can take the train to Karlstejn (about 40 minutes) and there are a few walks you can do,either up to the castle then follow the route to Svaty Jan P Skalou (St john under the rock),possible to get a bus from there to Beroun and train back to Prague or continue walking over the hill to Beroun about another 90 minutes .
Or follow the river from Karlstejn to Srbsko and then onto Beroun and train back to Prague. The first walk is pretty tough with a fair bit of up and down especially after you come out of St Johns .Allow 5 hours walking time, the secong one vcan be done easily in under 3 hours but add another hour of so if you visit the castle first.
http://www.rivercampingprague.com/stromovka-park-40.html
Stromovka Park is a huge area and a place I often go for a walk you can walk over to the Zoo and Troja chateau and get a but from the zoo into Holesovice and metro or tram from there.
https://www.prague.eu/en/object/places/488/letna-parks-letenske-sady
letna park is my favourite open air area of the city, stunning views over the city and a superb beer garden that become my home in the warmer weather.
hope this give you some ideas.

Posted by
170 posts

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Unclegus. They look wonderful!

Posted by
2638 posts

In all these areas there are places to enjoy a refreshment,it is something that amazes me when walking in the Czech republic, right in the middle of nowhere there always seems to be a place where you can enjoy a beer even if it is from a little hut they usually have beer on tap.