Please sign in to post.

Traveling to the Czech Republic

My husband and i will be traveling to Europe, Czech Republic and other areas. I was born in the CR and would like to go back to where i grew up. I would like to receive a few names of guides that could drive us just outside of Prague to a city name Dechin (Decin?) - stay with us there look around, & have lunch perhaps and drive back. Your programs (on TV) are terrific, we have always throughly enjoyed them. Thanking you in advance for your assistant - i think i have given you enough information - maybe not! If so please do not hesitate to ask - - thank you Maria Towle

Posted by
3861 posts

In the summer of 2014 we used ckshuttle.cz. They picked us up in Prague, took us to Kutna Hora to tour the silver mines/churches, then drove us to Cesky Krumlov. We were 4 adults, charged us 144€ at the time. We even took the young man who drove us on the mine tour, he had never been. We the used them from CK to Vienna for 116€. They were very professional, early, spoke English, and the cars spotless. They were recommended by Rick.

Posted by
16893 posts

I don't think a private guide is particularly necessary. Trains between Prague and Děčín take 1.5 hours each way. Google Maps estimates the same amount of time for driving. The town's tourist information office could help you if you'll need other local transport or advice.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for both replies - very quick - wonderful! I appreciate both however i prefer a local guide or several guides available to take us, spend some time with us & bring us back - probably for the day. we don't know the language or the area AT ALL - so somewhat hesitant in being dropped off. Thank you, Maria

Posted by
14 posts

We traveled to the Czech Republic two years ago. While in Prague we used the services of the Personal Prague Guide company (www.personalpragueguide.com) for a tour of Prague and also a day-long trip to Cesky Krumlov. Our guide for both tours, Lenka Kucernova, was excellent - definitely well-informed and extremely personable. Rick Steves recommends the company and we would whole-heartedly agree. I'm sure the company would satisfy your needs on a trip to Dechin. Ask for the services of Lenka if she still works there.