Please sign in to post.

Train travel

I will be traveling by train from Prague to Vienna, R/T to Melk, on to Budapest, then to Ljubljana within 7 days. I can't decide which rail pass is right for this trip. I have added the cost of point to point and then at the cost of a Global Flex Pass. According to RS info, if I'm going to more than 1 country, I should get a pass but the cost is twice as much as a point to point. Am I missing something? This will be my first trip to Europe and first experience with trains.

Posted by
27104 posts

I don't think Rick says you necessarily have to (or even ought to) but a rail pass just because you're going to more than one county. He may have written that if you're going to two or more countries and want to use a rail pass, you should get the Global Pass rather than a separate pass for each country.

Outside Switzerland, rail passes usually don't save money these days. If you've priced out your tickets and determined they will be cheaper than the rail pass, you're one stop ahead of the folks who make that discovery only after they've purchased a pass.

Posted by
5687 posts

I've never had a rail pass in Europe. Train travel point to point has always seemed to work out better for me. But I guess there are cases that would save you money depending on where you travel and how much train travel you do in each country.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
No rail pass since 1972, not in our family. Point to point. Check with 'the man in seat 61', a good website. Rail seems very inexpensive.

When we arrive in a city by train, we buy our tickets for the next segment of our trip. If you have a hard and fast schedule you can buy them all well in advance and often get a very nice discount. very nice.

wayne iNWI