Please sign in to post.

Train from Prague to Budapest

We are taking an early morning train to Budapest next month.We are planning to do 1st class for extra legroom for the 7 hr. trip. Is it advisable to book our seats online before we fly to Prague?

Posted by
4637 posts

I never noticed that first class on train has more legroom. It has somewhat softer seats and fewer people because it cost 50% more. I would not bother to reserve seats for the first class unless it's mandatory. And then it's enough time to buy it when you come to Prague. I certainly would not bother to book it from the US.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you llja for your advice, it does not appear that 1st class offers a big advantage for the trip to Budapest.

Posted by
11294 posts

I don't know that particular train. But on most trains, first class gets you a wider seat, but not extra legroom. However, there is already MUCH more legroom on trains than on airplanes.

Posted by
8889 posts

i beg to differ. In most long distance trains, 1st class is 2+1 seating, 2nd class is 2+2. As well as the extra width this gives you, you get proportionally more legroom. But, even in 2nd class, you have more legroom than I have ever had on an aircraft.

Posted by
4637 posts

If you are in a compartment there are 3+3 seats facing each other in the second class and also in the first class. The difference is softness of the seat. In the old carriages the second class has 4+4 seats. Now used only on some regional lines.