Please sign in to post.

Slav Epic - current status of display through 2020?

Traveling to Prague next summer (May 2020) and am hoping to find an update on the status of the Slav Epic collection. Most of the posts were from pre-2019, so wanted to see if Honza Vihan or another of Rick’s trusted sources might have the latest. Only going to have time for a short stay, but wanted to bump this to the top of the list, if it will be in Prague. Thanks for any insight!

Posted by
557 posts

I do not know about the Slav Epic, but if you have two hours or so while in Prague to see the Mucha Museum it is devoted to his life and work and is a gem of a small museum in my opinion.

Cynthia

Posted by
2639 posts

The Slav Epic is a stunning collection of huge canvases and I have been lucky enough to see it twice , there is always talk of finding or building a permanent home for it but I have not heard anything of late,by next year some of it may be on temporary exhibition some where,one can only hope

Posted by
407 posts

Ponygirl813, read http://www.muchafoundation.org/gallery/themes/theme/slav-epic

Johnanncat, It's not on display anywhere right now. Following the last partial exhibition in Prague which finished in January this year it's been packed up again. Politicians here are arguing the toss over a location (long running discussion). Places like the Prague Exhibition grounds or Zbraslav Castle are in the running to host it or it will return to it's original home in Moravsky Krumlov. Keep an eye on the website above as if the Slav Epic does get exhibited they'll publish lcation and dates etc.

Posted by
4573 posts

I had an opportunity to see a Mucha exhibit in Madrid 2 years ago. There was a very good video running of the Slav Epic. It focused on a section, explained the history behind it then moved to the next chronological spot. They are on my to see list, but given a history of no permanent home, I was happy to see the video. I also realized on grand scale it could be overwhelming and hard to focus on the relevant parts. I appreciated the focus on the parts.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you all for your replies - sounds like there is still no firm decision on Slav Epic's future, sadly. Those of you who have seen it are lucky! I hope the interested parties will settle the issue of a permanent home. It sounds like it's too amazing to be packed up :( I'll check the website frequently, in hopes something will happen in the near future. Thank you!

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Mucha bequeathed the massive set of paintings to the city of Prague on condition that Prague build a proper venue to display them. This building has never been constructed. For decades the paintings were held in Moravsky Krumlov, a small place in Moravia (obviously) SW of Brno about an hour. The current thinking is that they will go on display there. Nothing is definite. I assume they are in storage presently.

I saw the paintings last fall (2018). They are huge. And they are 20 in all. Finding a suitable location will be nearly impossible due to the size (6 meters x 8 meters) and number of pieces.

If and when they are next on display it will be worth the price of time, travel and admission to see them, and see them more than once.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
27096 posts

I saw about half the Slav Epic in Brno last year, and I enjoyed the stay in Brno that made it possible. Brno has an attractive historic center and seemed very untouristy.

Posted by
3 posts

Wonderful to hear that the paintings will finally be on display in 2020, but sad that it will be after our visit. Hopefully Prague will find the proper display location in the next few years. It will give me another excuse to visit. Thank you for the update!

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
This is great news. And as a previous responder mentioned, a great excuse to go to Brno. As lovely as old town Prague is, it is choked with tourists. Get out of the old town and the buildings are quite as magnificent. Brno is the 'capital' of Moravia and has a lovely charm about it. Partly it is because it has a large university student population. So it is youthful. And not so far away is Olomouc, the old capital of Moravia. A bit less gentrified than Brno which makes it even more enjoyable.

The Mucha Epic is worth what ever time it takes for you to get to see them. I saw about half of them in Brno last fall and the other half in Prague. The Prague setting wasn't big enough for a person to get proper perspective of the art work. These are huge paintings. Filled with myth, fact, and hope for the Slavic people.

There is hourly train service to Moravsky Krumlov. It is a 40 minute walk from the train station to the castle. Most likely some bus service is available as the station is 'out of town'.

wayne iNWI