Please sign in to post.

Slav Epic

Several months ago there was a post saying the Slav Epic was on tour but they did not know when it would be returning to Prague.
Does anyone have an update.

Posted by
2637 posts

Not heard anything official lately, the authourities are still to decide where it will be homed and there has been various plans to house it in a purpose built place but no definite plans have come forward.
I have been lucky enough to see it twice and would go again, if I hear of any news I will post on the forum.

Posted by
649 posts

Thanks CL & Unclegus. Disappointed but will attend the Mucha Museum.

Posted by
2602 posts

The museum it was housed in, the National Gallery, is quite satisfying even without the Slav Epic, and does have some other Muchas as well as an excellent Impressionist wing, and much more. I visited in 2015 and to my great dismay there was a sign indicating that due to falling plaster the Epic wasn't on display starting that very day, and for longer than I'd be in Prague. The Mucha Museum is also very enjoyable.

Posted by
198 posts

I have wondered the same thing. Lo and behold, yesterday on Rick Steves' guidebook update for the Czech Republic I found this: "Alfons Mucha's Slav Epic is back in the Czech Republic following its Japan tour, but does not seem to be on display yet. Part of it will be in the Municipal House July 17–Oct 31, 2018, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Czechoslovakia."

Posted by
2637 posts

http://www.obecnidum.cz/en/
can't see anything about it on the Municiple House website but might show up soon. That is good news but I think they can only show a little of it there. Hopefully a new home will be found soon.
BTW folks the Municiple house is well worth a visit,to tour ,see a concert of exhibition.Also several bars and restaurants in there ,quite a stunning building. I was last in the America bar there just after new year,very reasonably priced for such stunning surroundings.

Posted by
649 posts

Thanks Michele and Unclegus. Unfortunately the dates for the Slav Epic are to late as we will be there in June but as Unclegus suggested a trip to the Municipal House sounds interesting. We are going to the Mucha Museum but maybe could fit this in as well.

Posted by
5697 posts

Mucha Museum is well worth a visit -- there's a movie explaining about the Slav Epic as well. We were lucky to see both museums just before the Slav Epic went on tour.

Posted by
4637 posts

I just returned from the Czech Republic and can tell you that Slavic Epic is exhibited at Fairgrounds in Brno. You want to see it. Two and half hours from Prague by train or bus. It's a good excuse to see the second largest city of the Czech Republic and get some reprieve from crowds and lower prices than in Prague.

Posted by
160 posts

Hi Shelley,
Was there last week and it is not there and will be gone until the fall.
In addition, major renovations being done to rest of museum so only 1.5 floors of 4 are open.
Very disappointing and in my opinion, not worth it at this time.

Posted by
256 posts

It says on the link that the Epic will be displayed at the Municipal House starting July 19.
Perhaps that is why some of the Municipal House was closed off, for installation?

Posted by
4637 posts

On the link posted by Jason it says that Slavic Epic has been exhibited in Brno Fairgrounds since May 26th and will be there till December 31st 2018. I saw the same information in Brno when I was there.

Posted by
2637 posts

the exhibition has been split and only some of the huge paintings are on display in each place.

Posted by
4637 posts

If you want to see it all you have to go also to Brno (until the end of this year).