Please sign in to post.

Prague, Vienna, Munich

My husband and I would like to take a 10 day or so trip visiting these 3 cities with Munich primarily be 1 day to arrive or depart and time to tour Neuschwanstein Castle. Include Cesky Krumlov also while in Czech Republic. We have been to Salzburg decades ago so don’t need to do. Does this general itinerary make sense? We will have to navigate on our own since no tour has these cities.

Posted by
1222 posts

It should be easy to get between the cities by train. Which city are you starting and ending in? The title has a different order than the text, so that's why I'm asking. Also, are you saying you only want 1 day in Munich? If you must do Neuschwanstein be prepared to be disappointed, you get a max of 5 minutes in each room which is not enough time to take each room in. That would leave you one day for Munich. I'm guessing 3 nights 2 days, 3 nights 2 days for Prague and 1 additional day for Cesky Krumlov with 2 nights depending on how you get there? Then 3 nights 2 days for Vienna? Does the 10 include travel days or is it actually 10 days on the ground in Europe? Letting us know what you are planning on actually doing might help us let you know if it is feasible or not.

Posted by
23281 posts

That should work. Fly into Prague and come home from Munich -- or reverse. You might have more options coming home from Munich. Do some homework for each city and hit the local TI on arrival and you should be fine.

Posted by
687 posts

Fly into Prague and come home from Munich -- or reverse

Isn't Vienna south of Prague? So from south working north, the implied itinerary would be Vienna, Cesky Krumlov, Prague and then Munich - reverse for the opposite direction.

So open jaw/multiple citiy flights would make sense.

But does Munich/Neuschwanstein Castle make sense for making best use of your time? Berlin is only a couple of hours from Prague by train - perhaps a better fit.

Edited to add: with Berlin, you have the basic itinerary for the RS Berlin-Prague-Vienna tour.

Posted by
2 posts

We can do any order and Munich would be a good arrival/departure city, can adjust number of days there. Not too interested in Berlin even though that makes sense geographically. I am thinking 3 days/4 nights each in Prague/Vienna or maybe only 3 nights Vienna. We are not experienced European travelers so this will take a lot of planning for me. Thanks for the comments!
(would like to stop at Melk Abbey although I don’t know if that’s possible if traveling by train between cities)

Posted by
11164 posts

Berlin is a wonderful city to explore! By far, it is my favorite city in Germany.
In all of my worldwide travels the biggest disappointment, waste of time, was Neuschwanstein Castle.

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi Julie, that sounds like a great trip; those are great destinations and easy to navigate on your own. Transportation between all of those cities is easy, you can do it several ways. To/from CK, check out a company called CK Shuttle; a lot of good reports here. For the other connections, regular trains work well. Agree with others, fly into one city, out of another; doesn't really matter where to start and finish; just look for best flights. As far as Neuschwanstein, agree with others that the actual tour of castle isn't great; however the setting is cool if you are interested; up to you whether it's worth the time / effort to get there. Have a great trip!

Posted by
2963 posts

I agree with the others about skipping Neuschwanstein that was never finished. It’s not worth the 2h 15m train ride from Munich plus a 15m taxi ride to get to the castle. Tickets are time entry meaning you can’t walk in when you arrive. Munich is a good transportation hub and is a good jumping off point to explore the Bavarian Alps. If I took a day trip from Munich it would be Salzburg not Neuschwanstein.
The castle I recommend seeing is Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna. That too requires a time entry ticket but is a convenient tram ride away. You’re short-changing Vienna. Vienna alone deserves four nights.
I think you should go to Budapest not Prague that’s closer to Vienna. Assume you will return. I agree with the others, Berlin is Germany’s charm not Munich.