Please sign in to post.

Prague to Munich

We will be arriving in Prague 6/3 and departing from Munich on 6/14. We plan to spend a few days in Prague and then head to Munich and the surrounding areas. I am looking for suggestions on travel between to two. Would there be a good town to stop for a day or two along the way to break up the trip? We will be traveling by train. I was thinking maybe Nurnberg or Bamberg?

Thank you!

Posted by
864 posts

From Prague Nuremberg is easy. The other route I've used is via Salzburg. Both are excellent choices. Going to Bamberg would mean you'd have to pass through Nuremberg to get to Munich. While I like Bamberg, Nuremberg is more interesting.

Posted by
4637 posts

And if you would like to stop in C.R, then you can try Plzen (PIlsen), Marianske Lazne, Cheb.

Posted by
59 posts

Salzburg is a great idea. I have that on my list as day or an overnighter from Munich, but it would be perfect to stop in Salzburg for 1-2 days from Prague to Munich. Is the train trip scenic? Thanks!

Posted by
4637 posts

The train ride is scenic. There are several options. Some of them are more scenic than the others.

Posted by
356 posts

Nuremberg is a great town to visit and there are plenty of things to keep your attention.

Nuremberg's medieval town was completely destroyed during the war and we rebuilt brick by brick.
Nuremberg Castle is very impressive, as its its famous hostel.
Albrecht Durer House - the tour with his wife Agnes provides an excellent look at "the German DaVinci".
The Nuremberg Rally Grounds. The museum there is excellent. It provides a step by step account of how Hitler came to power.
The Courthouse in which the Nuremberg trials took place.
Nuremberg Zoo is great, and they have a dolphinarium!

On the other hand, the Lonely Planet listed Salzburg as the top city to visit in 2020, which a) means they must be doing something right b) means it is going to have even bigger crowds than usual this year.

Posted by
59 posts

Nuremburg is on our list for a day or two stay. Thank you for those tips on things to see. I think that will be a great place for a couple of days. Right now we are trying to decide what order to do everything:

Prague - Salzburg - Munich - Nuremburg then back to Munich to fly home. Or another combination. Now that we have purchased flights, I am in full planning mode!

Thanks!

Posted by
864 posts

I would do Prague, Nuremberg, Munich, Salzburg in that order. Not the least because taking the train from Salzburg to the Munich airport (on return) is really easy.

I've posted pages of stuff on all of those cities, try the search function for more.