Please sign in to post.

Prague to Czesky Kruov day trip

Probably it's not the best idea, but it is what it is. We are using one of our four days in Prague to do a day trip to CK. We plan to leave early, spend 4/5 hours and then return to Prague in the early evening.

Does anyone have a tour operator to recommend? or would it be better to just catch an early bus or train and then tour on our own?

Posted by
4637 posts

Indeed it is not the best idea for two reasons. You will spend more time by traveling there and back than actually being there. Not staying overnight when day mobs disappear and Cesky Krumlov looks differently and even more fairy-tale magic you are diminishing your experience. Nevertheless it's doable. Your choices are yellow bus (they are changing name from Student Agency to Regiojet). The bus goes during a day at least every hour from bus station Na Knizeci. Direct to C.K. with few stops. Or a train with one change in Ceske Budejovice. Or take a tour with an English speaking guide. It's more efficient use of your time but it is several times more expensive than by public transportation on your own. You can choose from many tours, private shuttles. With such a big competition almost all of them are very good because they would not survive.
You posted twice so you can delete the other post and will have all answers in one place.

Posted by
7025 posts

If the cost of a tour is not an issue, then I would do it as a tour, preferably as a private or small-group tour rather than a big bus tour. It will be more efficient use of your time than using public transportation. For details of doing it by train check this site. Personally, I might be tempted to rent a car for the day and drive; it may or may not be more expensive than bus or train, but will cut 2-1/2 to 3 hours off the combined from and to travel time and give you more flexibility in your time spent there.

Posted by
4637 posts

I checked tours on google. The price for a day tour is somewhere between $68 and $316 per person depending on tour. Train or bus tickets are almost the same - $7 to $8 per person one way. Schedule for trains and buses: http://www.idos.cz . You can switch the language to English. Choose trains and buses. To rent a car for one day prices are between $20 and $100 depending on car. Price for gas - educated guess $20 to $30. You would also pay for parking and hopefully no fines. You would not be much faster than bus (if at all), those drivers drive like Fittipaldi. And direct train would be probably faster than you by car. Add time necessary for renting and returning and the fact that it is not easy drive in Prague especially if you don't know the city well. Car could be worth it if you have more days and want to stop on your way. In that case I would recommend at least Tabor, Trebon and Ceske Budejovice.

Posted by
5697 posts

Where's your next stop ? We did an overnight in Cesky Krumlov between Vienna and Prague, travelling from Vienna with CK Shuttle one morning and on to Prague with them the next afternoon which gave us touring time and evening wandering-around hours.

Posted by
2455 posts

Elaine, I did this as a day tour when I was in Prague back in summer 2011. I remember there were two or three different tour companies that offered various day tours both in Prague and around the country. They had booths or storefronts around downtown Prague. I took a few such tours, generally signing up the day before, and all were very good, a lot depending on the personality of the individual guides. I thought each tour was reasonably priced. The tour to CK was pretty much all day. Included a tour of the castle and then at least a couple of hours free time, including time for lunch. One of the things I enjoyed most was the drive across so much of the countryside, observing farms, towns and the seeming prosperity, including various "big box stores" with crowded parking lots. Pretty sure the bus made a brief "pit stop" each way.

Posted by
989 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said it is what it is and it's a day trip or nothing. We have nonrefundable lodging and transportation already in place.
I have a constraint. I'm traveling with 89 year old mother and it is easier for her not to "move" too often so we decided a day trip was the best option for her.
It's really her last chance to visit CK so we will try to join a tour. I think Larrys suggestion of finding a tour operator on the streets of Prague is probably the best bet at this point.
A recent case of food poisoning has greatly sapped her energy and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that she will be able to travel in May. But I have to continue planning and keep my fingers crossed.

Posted by
114 posts

Hi Elaine, we are dong a day trip with Private Prague guide tours in June. Check them out. they have good reviews on Trip Advisor.