Please sign in to post.

Prague Jewish Quarter

I would be interested in hearing from people who have visited Prague's Jewish Quarter. How much time is needed to visit all of the synagogues and other sights without feeling rushed? Is it worthwhile to sign up for a guided tour, or can the area be experienced/appreciated just as well on your own? Any tips for beating the crowds? (I will most likely need to visit on a Monday afternoon). Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

Posted by
1220 posts

I have been and will be going again in May, fair warning with my advice though I have a masters in Holocaust and Genocide Studies and so am more fascinated than most. I would say for the average person if you want to see everything at least half a day with a little more after a lunch break. Definitely see the Pinkas Synagogue and wander through the cemetery. Make sure to visit the exhibits in the various synagogues and take time to process the enormity of what happened to this amazing culture and people. The Spanish Synagogue's decoration is stunning. And yes, you can do it on your own.

Posted by
3049 posts

I'd say a half day as well, and it can be done on it's own, especially if you have a good guidebook, but I think if I go back I'd probably take a guided walking tour.

Can't really beat the crowds if you can't go in the morning, unfortunately.

Posted by
808 posts

My husband and I opted for a guided tour with Anna Kristyna Sion and felt that the information that she provided us at the various sites with was well worth it. Anna is very knowledgeable and was gracious in answering all of our many questions. Since our tour was private, we were able to see things without feeling rushed. http://terezin-private-tours.com/?page_type=article&page=8 Also, when you are in Prague, be sure to look for the Stolpersteine commemorative brass plaques that are in the pavement throughout the area. It's quite moving to reflect upon them, and the people they represent as you walk the streets.

Posted by
4140 posts

We visited the Jewish quarter on our first visit to Prague in 2013 . We did not use a tour ( we always do our own preparation ) and , for us , most of the day was filled . While you are in Prague , while not in the Jewish quarter , this Art Nouveau Synagogue is also a must - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_Synagogue - location here - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jerusalem+Synagogue/@50.0868518,14.4245291,16.25z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x470b94e9ca5fda67:0xb74e9199050993dd!2sSpanish+Synagogue!8m2!3d50.0904308!4d14.4208485!3m4!1s0x470b94937dbef53b:0xe092d509098da9ad!8m2!3d50.0847042!4d14.4320199

Posted by
29 posts

I think it is better to do it in the afternoon. It is possible to take the audioguide but if you will have any questions it is better to have the real guide. We took the personal guide, she was excellent and very informative :)

Posted by
2639 posts

Monday can be quite a busy day in The jewish quarter as many other museums are closed that day.

Posted by
509 posts

We regretted not having advance purchase tickets during our visit last September. The line inside the Quarter was long and very slow. Savvier Forum regulars will hopefully give more focused advice.

Posted by
11294 posts

I second Steven's recommendation to not miss the Jubilee Synagogue. While outside the Jewish Quarter, it's included with your ticket to the Old-New Synagogue, which in turn is a separate ticket from the rest of the Jewish Quarter sights (details in Rick's book).

I'd say seeing the Jewish Quarter takes a half day minimum, and I found the information in Rick's book sufficient (remember, there's a lot of information on site - you're not just looking at unlabeled things).

Posted by
3391 posts

1/2 to one full day depending on how detailed you want to be. It's a relatively small area but very interesting.

Posted by
214 posts

We did it in a 1/2 day but I feel reading up on it or taking a tour with a guide would have been . more meaningful. Check the admission hours and how to pay b/c I can't remember the snafu but I think we didn't get there early enough before they closed and there was a problem b/c we didn't have cash. But, it may have changed since then. Very, very moving. I'd go back again.

Posted by
669 posts

For those who have taken the Prague Jewish Quarter Tour, has anyone had a tour with Alice Bissaro? This is the guide available from the Jewish Quarter tour company listed above, but I have not seen any reviews of her.
Thanks!

Posted by
407 posts

Note that it's the "Jewish Town" ticket which accesses all the sites. The "Jewish Museum" ticket does not include the Old/New and hence also would not include the separate Jubilee Synagogue ticket. The "Jewish Museum" ticket is FREE if you are using the Prague Tourist Card. Also if you are short of time, separate out the Spanish Synagogue because they have music recitals Sunday-Friday at 7pm so if you buy a ticket to the recital you can go into that synagogue later than the others which close at 6pm during the summer. The Robert Guttmann Gallery also has a FREE exhibition called My Cup of Kafka (you don't need the ticket to access that part of the gallery).

Posted by
444 posts

Is there a way to purchase tickets ahead of time for the Jewish Town/museum? I didn't see it online. Perhaps I am missing it. We will be there next week (!!)